Hey there! I’m expecting an order from Twin Cities Guppies this week, and I have a few questions.  I’ve had fish in the past, but I am new to buying fish online as well as using a quarantine tank + meds. My biggest question: is there anything I need to do differently when my fish are shipped? My concern is that the fish will have already gone without food for a few days and then a week without food during the med trio- isn’t that too long?  When should I feed them? How long can they go without and be okay? Are guppies sensitive to meds at all? What day should I feed them after receiving and acclimating them?  Should I hold off on the meds for a few days?

thank you!!

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/quarantine-tank?_pos=1&_psq=quarantine&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I should add that these are the resources that I’ve been using to get my quarantine tank ready^^

Edited by Sharelleshobbies
  • Like 1

Exciting to get these new fish! I'd love to learn what color / pattern caught your fancy.

Some questions to consider:

(1) Are you adding these guppies to an already established aquarium with lots of stock you've invested in a lot already? Or are these fish starting out a new tank for you? If you are really concerned about the outside possibility of cross-contaminating your current stock, then there is good grounds for medication. However, if they're new to a tank, I think you can just start them outright without meds and watch them carefully for a few weeks. IF you see any worrying signs, it's not wrong to run the med trio. But it's not always essential. I also like to ask the seller what the source of the Guppies is. Are they imported? Locally bred? Have they ever medicated them? etc.

(2) If you run the Med-Trio, you could lightly feed while the fish undergo treatment. Just feed once a day and no more than they scarf up very quickly as you watch. I'd choose something like Xtreme Krill Flakes that are not "dirty" in your QT setup. Beware that an insufficiently cycled QT can be more deadly than any possible ailment guppies come with. I have lost a number of fish for that reason before.

• Administrators

I'd say it's a judgement call. When the fish are in the tank for say half an hour, how do they look? If they look good. I'd work on getting food into them the next day or two. Then I'd follow up with a paracleanse.

If they look rough when they arrive, medication may be the best action. The problem with diseases is they aren't all the same, Ich for instance usually takes 7+ days to kill a fish. Where a fast moving bacteria can kill fish in a matter of hours.

On 4/17/2022 at 5:12 PM, Fish Folk said:

Exciting to get these new fish! I'd love to learn what color / pattern caught your fancy.

I got a surprise mix! I can't wait to see them. 😃

(1) Are you adding these guppies to an already established aquarium with lots of stock you've invested in a lot already? Or are these fish starting out a new tank for you? If you are really concerned about the outside possibility of cross-contaminating your current stock, then there is good grounds for medication. However, if they're new to a tank, I think you can just start them outright without meds and watch them carefully for a few weeks. IF you see any worrying signs, it's not wrong to run the med trio. But it's not always essential. I also like to ask the seller what the source of the Guppies is. Are they imported? Locally bred? Have they ever medicated them? etc.

These will be my second edition to my newly cycled tank.  I've got 4 cherry shrimp in it for now- to clean up the algae- and they are fat and sassy. 😃 

(2) If you run the Med-Trio, you could lightly feed while the fish undergo treatment. Just feed once a day and no more than they scarf up very quickly as you watch. I'd choose something like Xtreme Krill Flakes that are not "dirty" in your QT setup. Beware that an insufficiently cycled QT can be more deadly than any possible ailment guppies come with. I have lost a number of fish for that reason before.

I am a bit worried about that.  I've put my extra sponge filter in the QT.  Its been in my cycled tank for a few weeks so I hope it has enough beneficial bacteria.  I'll be keeping a close eye on it.  Maybe I'll add some more beneficial bacteria for good measure.

On 4/17/2022 at 5:31 PM, Cory said:

I'd say it's a judgement call. When the fish are in the tank for say half an hour, how do they look? If they look good. I'd work on getting food into them the next day or two. Then I'd follow up with a paracleanse.

If they look rough when they arrive, medication may be the best action. The problem with diseases is they aren't all the same, Ich for instance usually takes 7+ days to kill a fish. Where a fast moving bacteria can kill fish in a matter of hours.

Sounds reasonable to me. 😃 thank you.

• Like 1