Tank brand suggestions?

bun

I'm doing some research before buying another tank. I'm hoping to get between 8-15 gallons for a low tech planted tank for a future betta. I see some wildly mixed reviews from aquarium glass found at big box stores, but don't want to break the bank. Does anyone have suggestions for tank brands on a budget?  Rim or rimless, any dimension configuration is fine but I don't want a kit because I'll just customize it anyway. 

Thanks!

You cannot go wrong with an Aqueon rimmed tank. They aren't much to  look at but you can buy them in kits OR just by themselves, add a glass lid (which they also sell at the box store) and a air pump, sponge filter and a light and you're pretty much there. 

I have one of their 5.5, a 10 and two 20 gal talls and I like them a lot. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

I have quite a few Aqueon . 8.75 2-10 2-20long 1-29  1-40breeder. I also have 1-20long aquarium master/seapora. Looking straight on the only difference is my am has black silicone.  I have no problem with Aqueon reasonable priced. Over 40 I would go aquarium master/seapora. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 5:35 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

If you want to get fancy I'm in love with my Aquatop rimless low iron glass- but they're a bit pricier. 

I second this.  I have 3 aquatops now and they're all great.  I actually bought them because they were the cheapest rimless.  but they have high quality glass and good construction and come with a pre-cut mat.  Also for whatever reason my LFS sells them for much cheaper than anywhere else.  Its probably a shipping thing.  In any case, check your LFS before going on-line.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone! I think I will be going with a 10 gallon aquatop cube. It's beautiful! And... it's the only way I can get a ten gallon to fit in the spot I have as the others are just a bit too long, but it's good to know the aqueons are reliable AND affordable too for future tank endeavors. I'm thinking of picking up a little one as a quarantine tank.

• Like 2

thing with tanks is, you pay your money, you take your chances.  most tanks from every brand will be fine. reviews online, most people are inclined to leave a review when things go bad, so you see a higher rate of issues with online reviews. usually tanks that are going to leak will do so right away, so whatever you get, put it somewhere that can take water spilling, and set it up and fill it for a day or three. if it doesnt leak then, 99.8% the tank is good to go for a very long time.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2022 at 10:33 AM, bun said:

Thank you everyone! I think I will be going with a 10 gallon aquatop cube. It's beautiful! And... it's the only way I can get a ten gallon to fit in the spot I have as the others are just a bit too long, but it's good to know the aqueons are reliable AND affordable too for future tank endeavors. I'm thinking of picking up a little one as a quarantine tank.

I have a 11.3 gallon Aquatop cube, I didn’t know they made a 10 gallon. I like mine, and it was affordable at my LFS. 
I have two Aqueon rimless and two rimmed. The rimless are on par with the Aquatop. The rimmed ones have sloppy silicone but are otherwise great. 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:47 AM, Patrick_G said:

I have a 11.3 gallon Aquatop cube, I didn’t know they made a 10 gallon. I like mine, and it was affordable at my LFS. 
I have two Aqueon rimless and two rimmed. The rimless are on par with the Aquatop. The rimmed ones have sloppy silicone but are otherwise great. 

My bad, it is the 11.3 g I'm getting! My brain was already rounding down to account for substrate and hardscape.

• Like 1

Aquatop, and I think most makers count the glass in the gallons.  so my 30cm (12") cube is 27L =7.1g but in reality its 6.5g filled to the brim when you subtract the glass.  Life is easier when you just round to 10g or 5g in my case 😉

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2022 at 5:37 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have quite a few Aqueon . 8.75 2-10 2-20long 1-29  1-40breeder. I also have 1-20long aquarium master/seapora. Looking straight on the only difference is my am has black silicone.  I have no problem with Aqueon reasonable priced. Over 40 I would go aquarium master/seapora. 

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you purchase your Seapora tank? I’m having a heck of a time finding one. I really like the dimensions of their standard 30 gallon. 

Edited by SpacedCadette

For a small aquarium (under 75gallons) I think there are a lot of decent manufacturers.  I think it comes down to availability and your own preferences and cost.   I have a 125 gallon aquarium I purchased used in 2001 made by Prefecto - I think now is Marineland.  And for our 16th wedding anniversary my wife purchased me a complete 90 gallon aquarium new.  Also a perfecto aquarium.  Just for the record this April we celebrated 35 years. 
I have heard good things about Seapora aquarium.

Good Luck with your decision 

On 5/23/2022 at 8:12 PM, SpacedCadette said:

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you purchase your Seapora tank? I’m having a heck of a time finding one. I really like the dimensions of their standard 30 gallon. 

I got it at a local store. If you are near south central PA I will DM you the place as far as I know they do not ship tanks. Seapora is the label name on the box the tank came in. They are made by Aquarium Masters and the actual tank and lid say Aquarium Masters. Go to Aquarium Masters website. Use the contact feature as they do not do internet sales. When you contact them they will provide you with the brick and mortar retailers closest to you. 
Be aware on the 20 long an Aqueon lid is a pinch to big and doesn’t work. I tried because my hinge wore out. I do not know if that holds true for other size tanks or lid brands. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1