Overrun!

I need help!  I have a 6 gallon cube, unheated, which at the moment is housing 4 golden white cloud minnows.  Filtration is through a Co-op sponge fillter, with dwarf hairgrass, java moss, and "japan" also from the coop.  The bottom and sides, along with the filter, have been taken over by a coating of green hair algae.  I've pulled some out manually, and cleaned the sponge, but every time I try to pull more off the bottom it uproots the hairgrass and lifts the java moss square from it's place.  What can I do to get it gone???  With the plants I have in there, they like heavy light, so I have a 24/7 hygger to try and keep them happy.  I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions the wiser fishkeepers may have!  

My office is sadly in the center of the building, with no windows for miles and miles.  As far as my lighting schedule, it's the preset in the hygger 24/7, which comes on very dim red at about 6am, slowly increases until full light around noon, then decreases again to a dim blue and finally off at around 10p.  It may be that I need to stop using that and just use a timer to turn on and off at full power, but I was thinking this would help my other plants.

Too much light, in my opinion. I have the exact same setup for my BBA, and all the other algae are thriving, but BBA is taking its sweet time in taking over. I do have Riccia fluitans successfully outcompeting Duckweed, but a cover may not help your other plants get the light they need.

I would try cutting light period and see how it goes.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 11:38 AM, ADMWNDSR83 said:

My office is sadly in the center of the building, with no windows for miles and miles.  As far as my lighting schedule, it's the preset in the hygger 24/7, which comes on very dim red at about 6am, slowly increases until full light around noon, then decreases again to a dim blue and finally off at around 10p.  It may be that I need to stop using that and just use a timer to turn on and off at full power, but I was thinking this would help my other plants.

Unless you are running CO2, that's way too much light.

Many people will have many opinions, and I think each of us discover that difference in water parameters (especially ones we can't measure) influence success/failure making each tank truly unique. 

What works for me may not work for you. 

That being said, I have had far fewer problems with algae ever since I moved all of my tanks to a siesta system. 

Dimmer lights (Walstad inspired and grow out tank) are on up to 5 hours at a time. 

All tanks have a 4 hour break in the middle of the day.

Brightest lights are on 3.5 hours, 4 hours off, 4 hours on, off for the night. 

I still had a cyanobacteria problem, but lowering my TDS got that under control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:15 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Too much light, in my opinion. I have the exact same setup for my BBA, and all the other algae are thriving, but BBA is taking its sweet time in taking over. I do have Riccia fluitans successfully outcompeting Duckweed, but a cover may not help your other plants get the light they need.

I would try cutting light period and see how it goes.

@eatyourpeas Add extra iron. I thought I was seeing iron deficiency in a new plant (pale new leaves with dark veins) so I added 1 pump of easy iron (it was approximately a 10g)....one tiny tuft of BBA multiplied exponentially. The tank had a fairly heavy bioload as well, so nitrate + iron seems to be the key to BBA.

@ADMWNDSR83 Even with the ramp up that's a really long lighting period. Hairgrass likes high light yes, but I don't think it needs more than 12 hours of light to thrive.

• Thanks 2

@Jenjairon deficiency and potassium deficiency can look similar sometimes so it’s possible it’s the lack of K+. Iron has always been and addition to my pleco and shrimp tanks to grow more algae so the sprouting up of the bba makes total sense to me. @ADMWNDSR83youve gotten good suggestions. I would not bomb it as this is such a small tank and very susceptible to parameters fluctuations. I would spot treat every 2-3 days with your choice of a “liquid carbon” or good ok’ h202 using a syringe or spray bottle during water changes and then do another treatment and water change 3 days later. You sound like you need some faster growing stems in there to outcompete the algae. 

• Like 1