Big Box Home Improvement Store Rock

Wonder Boy

Howdy All, 

I'm going to be setting up a newly acquired 40 breeder as a naturalish looking planted tank. I'd like to put some large natural looking rocks in. 

Looking for experiences with big box store landscaping rocks. Any body have this work out for them?

On 3/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve heard that some carry dragon stone, seiryu stone, and even pieces of petrified wood, along with river rocks and assorted pebbles.  I haven’t checked out our locals because I haven’t really needed much lately.

I’ve been on the waiting list to be notified when they have the aquascaping rocks in stock for months. In the meantime they seem to have realized that aquarium hobbyists are buying this material and have raised the prices so they’re much closer to those in a retail aquascaping store. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 12:07 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’ve been on the waiting list to be notified when they have the aquascaping rocks in stock for months. In the meantime they seem to have realized that aquarium hobbyists are buying this material and have raised the prices so they’re much closer to those in a retail aquascaping store. ☹️

Darn!

• Like 1

I just picked up some rocks and pebbles from my local hardware store today. I wanted smooth white ones and ended up buying a whole bag. Last time there was an open bag with only about 1/4 of the rocks and they sold them to me for $1.

I boiled them and did the vinegar test on them to make sure they wouldn't change my water parameters first.

• Thanks 1

I have bought a 20lb bag of river rocks from a major home improvement store chain.    They were nice and in theory they would have been cheap, except I only got to use them for one aquarium before a mouse crawled into the bag and died.   There was no way I was going to use them after that *blech*.   If you decide to buy in bulk do a better job of storing them then I did because with what I paid and as little as I was able to use, I would have been better off buying them by the lb at the LFS. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If there is a landscape rock place near you, that might be another option. I went to the local one last weekend (they sell stone and mulch and sand to landscapers, I've always been the only "homeowner" there buying stone when I go) and in addition to the smooth roundish river rock that I like (sizes varying from grape sized to loaf of bread sized) they had some of the more layered and squarish kinds of stone. You don't have to buy a whole truckload--I bought about six stones this time. I like that you can just pick out the ones you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I second @PineSongs "Landscape rock place" suggestion.  Big Box stores often sell presorted gravel and larger stones, but landscapers and nurseries will often have a variety of unsorted common gravel and rocks of various sizes and shapes really cheap.  A nursery near me will sell a 5 gallon bucket of gravel for $5.  (your bucket, you fill it , you load it!)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Yes, you can use landscaping rocks from big box home improvement stores for your planted tank. Many people have successfully used these rocks, but make sure to clean them well before putting them in your aquarium. Check if they are safe for fish and plants by testing for any chemicals or sharp edges. You might also find a small kraft box useful for organizing smaller aquarium supplies during setup.

Edited by lewismoreno

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 9:51 AM, Wonder Boy said:

Howdy All, 

I'm going to be setting up a newly acquired 40 breeder as a naturalish looking planted tank. I'd like to put some large natural looking rocks in. 

Looking for experiences with big box store landscaping rocks. Any body have this work out for them?

Yes indeed...I went with a bag of landscape rock from HD ($6) and it was small enough and has been working quit well. It vacuums well also and even as small as my juvenile Carpintis are they can move rock around at will . 

20240618_081412.jpg

On 3/11/2022 at 11:51 AM, Wonder Boy said:

Howdy All, 

My whole tank the rock work, sand and pea gravel all came from box store and landscaping store