My heart is still racing...

Cinnebuns

Just wanted the share the moment I had. Maybe sharing it will calm me down lol. My 2nd guppy had her fry tonight. In the future I'm gonna leave fry in the tank (or so I say) but for my first ones I wanna put them in grow out tanks. I was taking fry out and putting them in a small container. My cat was naturally curious what I was doing and what was going on in that container. A few firm "no"s and she got the message and looked from afar. I had almost gotten them all when all of a sudden she leaped up next to the container. I FREAKED OUT!!!  She dashed away. Whew, it wasn't knocked over. 

If I'm ever doing something that delicate again she's getting shut into the bathroom!  Can't blame her too bad. She's 9 months old. Young, curious, and unfortunately obsessed with all things water. 

• Like 5

It took a long time for that to happen. And a lot of persistence from the kitten. 13 year old man wasn't having the kid stuff for awhile. He still will hiss at her from time to time, but since I got that recliner, now they cuddle far more than ever before. Magical recliner I guess!

Well "long time"  I guess like 5 or 6 months lol. I have heard of taking a year or more for some. Then again some never do cause individual things.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:44 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Just wanted the share the moment I had. Maybe sharing it will calm me down lol. My 2nd guppy had her fry tonight. In the future I'm gonna leave fry in the tank (or so I say) but for my first ones I wanna put them in grow out tanks. I was taking fry out and putting them in a small container. My cat was naturally curious what I was doing and what was going on in that container. A few firm "no"s and she got the message and looked from afar. I had almost gotten them all when all of a sudden she leaped up next to the container. I FREAKED OUT!!!  She dashed away. Whew, it wasn't knocked over. 

If I'm ever doing something that delicate again she's getting shut into the bathroom!  Can't blame her too bad. She's 9 months old. Young, curious, and unfortunately obsessed with all things water. 

I would suggest a specimen container for operations like that. I have one for each tank. They help me Keep the tank specific equipment sorted (nets, pipettes, special food), and are handy for a temporary holder for the tank dwellers.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, Widgets said:

would suggest a specimen container for operations like that

It's actually something I keep debating if I should get it or not. Part of me wants to save the money but then the other part of me remembers experiences like this!  Also, in a couple months when I'm sexing the fry, it would make that job easier. 

On 3/9/2022 at 12:56 PM, Cinnebuns said:

It's actually something I keep debating if I should get it or not. Part of me wants to save the money but then the other part of me remembers experiences like this!  Also, in a couple months when I'm sexing the fry, it would make that job easier. 

I have one and feel like I need three for sexing. The other ‘clear’ containers I have are either not that clear or are round and therefore a nightmare to net out of. 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 12:56 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I just got a coop one to replace my old seriously abused one. They are fantastic and I would not bat an eye at spending the money again. 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 11:56 AM, Cinnebuns said:

id get one. i always managed to make due without one, but i picked up one last fall, and have found it useful.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:39 AM, Patrick_G said:

My daughter dreams of having cats that snuggle together. Our two won’t get within two feet of each other. 

It takes a lot of patience, here's video from my kiddo's kitten meeting the older sibling's cat:

On 3/9/2022 at 12:30 AM, Cinnebuns said:

one terrible picture of the fry lol. Take 2

This is honestly the best argument my local fisch club made for buying the ACO specimen containers. One of our members is a professional photographer hired to take photographs at various fish and shrimp venues, as well as photographing his own livestock. He taught the Club a class on "how to properly photograph underwater plants, fish, and shrimp" and the number one was using a specimen container to ease focus issues and to improve clarity.

• Like 1

Yeah I have two specimen containers and I will likely be getting a third. I have one co-op one and one Lee one. I like them both for different reasons. They're almost the exact same size but I know the co-op one will outlive the Lee one. I got the Lee one a really long time ago. It's currently being used as a hospital tank hanging on my 75g.

Your kitties are precious! And the fry are so so so cute! I love guppy fry! 💚