Pleco Catching Tips, Please

i had to move mine when i got a larger tank it was a devil of a time to get him    i had to have some help Mom & zucchini piece i have one hand .. so one of us did the vegetable and while he was not looking  then scoop him up ,,  My Mom got tickled seeing him eat a zucchini …best wishes 

• Like 1

I have a few tricks for catching my hoardes.

1-Big coop net and wait until they are in front glass. Trap net flat on glass(this does not work with cheap net only ninja coop nets)and slowly move in circles and they release from glass and swim into the net. 
2-plastic kitchen strainer baited with food. Lift straight up or chase into strainer and lift (mine are not afraid of my hands so this may not work for others)

3-clear plastic container with holes drilled in. Flat saucer with food. When on the saucer slowly lower clear container over lift dish and container.
4- curse a lot and rip up the tank and chase around semi empty tank 🤣

hope 1-3 help 4 not so much. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

Lots of good suggestions here no any of them would likely work.  For me, it’s all about the right bait and the right size fish trap.  If you have or make a fish trap (as opposed to an open ended container or cave which is a great idea for a bristlenose that likes caves), you MUST monitor it closely.  Do NOT fall asleep and leave it unattended, especially with cories in the tank.  They can release a toxin when stressed that can kill them and any other fish inside the fish trap.  Ask me how I know.  😢 

But if you can watch it closely, checking every few minutes (set it up where you can just walk by and look at it), then a fish trap with the right bait and the right size opening let’s you go about your day getting other stuff done while it does its job.  Then lift out and transfer.

You may have to release a few other fish before you catch the one you want.

One time I needed to catch a Siamese Algea Eater that I bought without researching. That guy was a tough'n to catch. But I made a trap out of a fish oil vitamin container and a sandwich baggie and got 'em pretty quick.

This pleco wasn't actually too tough once I got out the zucchini.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 4:00 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

One time I needed to catch a Siamese Algea Eater that I bought without researching. That guy was a tough'n to catch. But I made a trap out of a fish oil vitamin container and a sandwich baggie and got 'em pretty quick.

This pleco wasn't actually too tough once I got out the zucchini.

SAE's are the friggen worst to catch.