30" Light recemendations

FrozenFins

Hygger. The fluval is great but absolutely not necessary. There are plenty of alternatives that will grow plants amazingly and look great I have the 30 in Hygger and have for some time and it’s been great and won’t cost you a car payment. 

https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Sunrise-Daylight-Moonlight-Adjustable-Brightness-Extendable/dp/B08N19ZXMR/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3PH7MWMPRDUXV&keywords=hygger+aquarium+light&qid=1646695538&sprefix=%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-3

• Like 2

Thanks @BettaHomesAndGardens @Mmiller2001. I've looked into the hygger ones, its probably what I'm going to go with.

@Streetwise I really enjoy the fluval 3.0 nanos.  On amazon.ca they are only $120 (the regular 3.0s are double that). 

@BettaHomesAndGardens or anyone have you had experiance with this light:

https://www.amazon.ca/Aquarium-Extendable-Dimmable-Spectrum-Freshwater/dp/B0896Y818P/ref=sr_1_5?crid=33G7FNDU4G3OD&keywords=hygger+aquarium+light&qid=1646699326&sprefix=hygger+aquarium+light%2Caps%2C97&sr=8-5

How would it compare to the one you reccemended me?

Edited by FrozenFins

On 3/7/2022 at 6:29 PM, FrozenFins said:

Thanks @BettaHomesAndGardens @Mmiller2001. I've looked into the hygger ones, its probably what I'm going to go with.

@Streetwise I really enjoy the fluval 3.0 nanos.  On amazon.ca they are only $120 (the regular 3.0s are double that). 

@BettaHomesAndGardens or anyone have you had experiance with this light:

https://www.amazon.ca/Aquarium-Extendable-Dimmable-Spectrum-Freshwater/dp/B0896Y818P/ref=sr_1_5?crid=33G7FNDU4G3OD&keywords=hygger+aquarium+light&qid=1646699326&sprefix=hygger+aquarium+light%2Caps%2C97&sr=8-5

How would it compare to the one you reccemended me?

I don’t have that particular model. I have the one that I linked but I did watch some reviews of that model. Everyone said it was good but that the timer instructions were a bit convoluted so there’s been a bunch of people that have made video walkthroughs on YouTube. The model I have is pretty straight forward tho but as far as light output I think they’re both pretty comparable.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:29 PM, FrozenFins said:

I bought one for my 38g (a taller version of the 29g, where the 20g long is a shorter version of the 29g) back in December. I am very happy with the light, and had no problem programming the light.

I recently bought a 20g long and a 10g. I got the same model for the new tanks. Unfortunately, the new lights do not transition from daylight to moonlight mode the same as the original light. I am working with Hygger customer support to help them diagnose the issue, as they have not been able to duplicate the problem.

Edited by Widgets
Stupid typos
  • Like 1

Lot's of good suggestions, I shopped for lights for my tank for a week or two watching videos, pricing them out, etc.  I decided on the Finnex 24/7 planted as I felt it was the best balance between performance and price, I have had it now for about a month and it is an awesome light, good luck!

On 3/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, TonyRs5 said:

Lot's of good suggestions, I shopped for lights for my tank for a week or two watching videos, pricing them out, etc.  I decided on the Finnex 24/7 planted as I felt it was the best balance between performance and price, I have had it now for about a month and it is an awesome light, good luck!

The ALC version?

My favorite brand for a planted tank that is budget oriented is Nicrew Classic gen 2.  If you want bells and whistles I would absolutely do a Fluval Planted but if you are on a budget Nicrew all the way.   I am running one Nicrew Classic for three plus years on my 40 breeder, still works reliably and runs great.   They only made the light better with the gen 2 (running on my 75 and growing plants beautifully).   I don't bother with timers, I just use Amazon smart plugs and integrate the lights into my network of Amazon Echos throughout my home.   The first time setting up a timed routine on Alexa was a bit of a headache but now that I have the routine set up it is snap to just add another tank smart plug and now all my tank on the Alexa network are synced but you can also set up different routines for each smart plug if desired.  

HLC I believe, the 24/7 is very easy to program, I used a tutorial on youtube, no issues.  I am happy with the standard 24/7 program, however, from what I see it would be easy to modify it.  I have live plants, however, only about 4 or 5 and they appear to be doing just fine.