Neptune Apex Aquarium Control

Streetwise

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, quirkylemon103 said:

Yeah, all 862 pages of it! That thread is ridiculous. It's a really cool idea though that I would totally get into if I had the time. Instead, I just bought some used apex lite and apex classic controllers for pretty reasonable prices on the forum classifieds.

• Like 1

I was planning on using an apex lite as a temperature and ph controller when I was going to setup a co2 system on my 55g planted tank. I never setup the co2 system despite having already secured all of the components to build a dual stage regulator, so they are just in a box at the moment, along with the apex, which will hopefully get used when I get around to setting up my nano reef tanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Mmiller2001 asked about programming in another thread. The Apex has a simple programming language, where you can schedule actions, or trigger actions based on various conditions, such as temperature, pH, etc.

Here is a basic example of one of my outlets:

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If FeedC 000 Then OFF
If FeedD 000 Then OFF
If Power Power Off 002 Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 002 Then OFF

This will turn off the outlet if I engage any of the feeding modes, or after two minutes if the Apex detects that power is off from a power brick independent of my UPS.

I also have alerts set for power outages and my leak-detection kit.

When I ran a heater, I also had it set to turn off or on based on a certain temperature range.

Now the more interesting options include programming an outlet for a CO2 solenoid based on pH, or controlling water changes and automatic top-offs with water level monitors. You could even control automatic dosing based on timing or parameters.

The reef-keepers do amazing stuff to automate everything. There is an Apex forum with lots of different examples.

• Like 1

You really only need the Apex EL model for freshwater. The optional leak detection module is probably the best selling point to a non-hobbyist partner. Compare the value of your livestock, hardwood floors, etc. to the cost of insurance.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2020 at 10:47 PM, Daniel said:

This is totally off topic, but wow, I’ve finally found a fellow nijsseni keeper! Does that label of 3 fish mean you’ve succeeded in keeping them in a 2f1m trio @Daniel? I’ve sold them as trios and double pairs and single pairs, but only ever kept and bred in single pairs.

Also I find it hilarious that you have them labelled as ‘Nijsenni’ instead of ‘Nijsseni’ because I can never get it right either, it’s the most infuriating name ever!!!

Anyways, sorry for dragging this so far off topic, but I’m just very interested.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 3:58 AM, Crabby said:

This is totally off topic, but wow, I’ve finally found a fellow nijsseni keeper! Does that label of 3 fish mean you’ve succeeded in keeping them in a 2f1m trio @Daniel? I’ve sold them as trios and double pairs and single pairs, but only ever kept and bred in single pairs.

Also I find it hilarious that you have them labelled as ‘Nijsenni’ instead of ‘Nijsseni’ because I can never get it right either, it’s the most infuriating name ever!!!

Anyways, sorry for dragging this so far off topic, but I’m just very interested.

Bit confused why would you sell them as trio as Nijisseni are not harem breeders ? They are also very territorial so eventually the third one would be restrictive to a small corner ?

On 8/10/2021 at 4:58 AM, Crabby said:

I know, I can't spell sometimes 🙂.

@Crabby I keep the A. nijsseni in groups or pairs depending on the tank, but the 3 on the misspelled label only means that it is tank no. 3.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 10:59 PM, Daniel said:

I know, I can't spell sometimes 🙂.

@Crabby I keep the A. nijsseni in groups or pairs depending on the tank, but the 3 on the misspelled label only means that it is tank no. 3.

Oh whoops. But hey, that’s cool that you keep them in groups!

On 8/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, anewbie said:

Bit confused why would you sell them as trio as Nijisseni are not harem breeders ? They are also very territorial so eventually the third one would be restrictive to a small corner ?

I had a surplus of females, so I was offering trios as an option to people who had large enough tanks where they could provide the right sort of environment where a trio would be okay (densely planted, lots of caves & line of sight blocks, etc). My general rule for buyers was a pair for 20 gallons plus, I said they could probably pull off a trio in a 40 or 55, and they could go for double pairs or groups in anything upwards of a 55. Even selling them as such, I’ve still got only 2 male fry left, and maybe 6 or 8 females of varying ages. I know it’s not the right way to do it, but I didn’t really have any other option, as people don’t usually take apisto females solo, just males.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...