Dutch/ plant farm 75 gallon (and other projects)

On 6/22/2022 at 3:53 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

No problems with the lower leaves? Mine kind of disintegrate and have a few holes.

Yeah the lower leaves get holes and fall off but I don't see that as real problem. That happens with most aquarium plants, I just try to pull them off as they start to get unhealthy

On 6/22/2022 at 5:27 PM, gjcarew said:

Yeah the lower leaves get holes and fall off but I don't see that as real problem. That happens with most aquarium plants, I just try to pull them off as they start to get unhealthy

Okay, I was going to boost potassium a bit, but it's the only plant that does this. I'll probably just leave it alone, the other plans are doing fine.

Pond update! First I thought I'd post my rainbow shiners. They seem to be doing just fine, I'm only feeding once or twice per week. I have some coarse gravel in the bottom of their tub pond so I'm hoping I'll get some babies out of there come fall. They do look very pretty in the sunlight, but I think that's true of all fish!

The second pond contains (used to contain?) Rhadinocentrus ornatus "Seary's Creek", a type of rainbowfish. I put them in the pond when temps were still in the low 50's, and we have had a very cold, wet, long spring here in the Seattle area. Since I added them, I haven't seen them once. I won't know until I drain the pond in the fall, but at this point I'm not optimistic. 

BUT.........

I found some fry in that pond! They are tiny, the size of an eyelash. I assume they are baby rainbows but I have no idea. For the time being they should be good with the microorganisms and green water in the tub pond. I'm going to have to start hatching some baby brine soon, though. So the questions is- are they rhads? Something that hitched a ride on the pond plants? Are there more fry hiding in there or is it just the three? And did any parents survive? 

It's all terrifically exciting and requires about 3 hours of work per year. This is why I'm so crazy about ponds!

• Like 3

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...

PXL_20220624_062202740.jpg.fb804083f1ed3692379298cf5fe87e32.jpg

I confess I went and bought some more hygrophila difformis. I just didn't want to have to propagate it down to nubs. Things are coming together and all the plants are appreciating my holiday from moving them around.

Gonna give it some more time but the Rotala is not currently working in that back corner. Too similar in color to the blyxa japonica. I may replace it with the that myriophyllum roraima in the center. The myrio is currently a bit too dominant IMO and really breaks the tank in two. Overall there needs to be a group crossing the middle line to tie it all together. Maybe that street could go back to the left rather than circling around the lily.

Speaking of which, that plant does NOT want to grow upwards. Anybody got tips for it? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/23/2022 at 5:50 PM, gjcarew said:

Pond update! First I thought I'd post my rainbow shiners. They seem to be doing just fine, I'm only feeding once or twice per week. I have some coarse gravel in the bottom of their tub pond so I'm hoping I'll get some babies out of there come fall. They do look very pretty in the sunlight, but I think that's true of all fish!

The second pond contains (used to contain?) Rhadinocentrus ornatus "Seary's Creek", a type of rainbowfish. I put them in the pond when temps were still in the low 50's, and we have had a very cold, wet, long spring here in the Seattle area. Since I added them, I haven't seen them once. I won't know until I drain the pond in the fall, but at this point I'm not optimistic. 

BUT.........

I found some fry in that pond! They are tiny, the size of an eyelash. I assume they are baby rainbows but I have no idea. For the time being they should be good with the microorganisms and green water in the tub pond. I'm going to have to start hatching some baby brine soon, though. So the questions is- are they rhads? Something that hitched a ride on the pond plants? Are there more fry hiding in there or is it just the three? And did any parents survive? 

It's all terrifically exciting and requires about 3 hours of work per year. This is why I'm so crazy about ponds!

Regarding the Rhads, I put mine out and thought I lost them all as well. They are pretty hard to see from above, If I go out after dark and shine a flashlight into them I can see them. 

• Like 1

Finally getting around to the cabinet update. PXL_20220625_001658639_MP.jpg.43ec1edaa80e7184cc8eac2309a614fa.jpg

First of all a club member 3D printed some cool tool holders. They seem pretty convenient!

PXL_20220625_001724003_MP.jpg.1fbc602f09c3419919d9024591807e9a.jpg

I installed this flow meter which allows me to see how much CO2 I am injecting. CO2 injection has generally been low in this tank because the new Chihiros app sucks and sometimes the light doesn't turn on. For example, that happened today. I turned the light to "manual" mode in the app last night, then turned it back to "auto" mode before going to bed. The light turned off, so I thought it worked, but when I got home from work the light wasn't on yet! The good news is injecting 10 cc/m like I was the fish weren't stressed at all, they were actually super colored up.

I just raised the rate to 17 cc/m while it seems around 30 cc/m is "high" CO2 in a 75 gallon (from what I've read). One thing that I've noticed is a seemingly tiny bump on the needle valve can double your injection rate. Makes me think I should invest in a more precise needle valve.

PXL_20220625_001744171.jpg.68ec10c2c7273d1a4a1e9f73492a11f8.jpg

Last change is I added a Jebao DC pump. It's way quieter than the Oase one, has triple the output, and has a 10 minute "feed" mode. I haven't had it long enough to know if it will last, but so far I'm pretty hyped.

Edited by gjcarew
  • Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 12:03 AM, gjcarew said:

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...

PXL_20220624_062202740.jpg.fb804083f1ed3692379298cf5fe87e32.jpg

I confess I went and bought some more hygrophila difformis. I just didn't want to have to propagate it down to nubs. Things are coming together and all the plants are appreciating my holiday from moving them around.

Gonna give it some more time but the Rotala is not currently working in that back corner. Too similar in color to the blyxa japonica. I may replace it with the that myriophyllum roraima in the center. The myrio is currently a bit too dominant IMO and really breaks the tank in two. Overall there needs to be a group crossing the middle line to tie it all together. Maybe that street could go back to the left rather than circling around the lily.

Speaking of which, that plant does NOT want to grow upwards. Anybody got tips for it? 

Hello there! I am also in the Seattle area. I had a recommendation for your plants growing straight. Have you tried using the wooden skewer, sunken down, then super light weight fishing line (5lb strength) to attach the stem to the rigid skewer? You can even super glue a few skewer together to get the full height. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, Lauren said:

Hello there! I am also in the Seattle area. I had a recommendation for your plants growing straight. Have you tried using the wooden skewer, sunken down, then super light weight fishing line (5lb strength) to attach the stem to the rigid skewer? You can even super glue a few skewer together to get the full height. 

I was talking about the dwarf aquarium lily which is only putting out pads with very short stems. I'm not sure if the skewers would work on a lily. I've tried pushing all the plants around it super close to it, sometimes by crowding plants you can get them to grow upwards. Thanks for the tip though!

On 6/24/2022 at 10:10 PM, gjcarew said:

Just the one that comes with it? Not sure I understand the question right

That's a valid answer. I'm used to wiring things inside of enclosures.... so I have this problem where my brain doesn't think about the obvious answers. 🤣

20220701_220507.jpg.4cacb76e0caff8f1fa7da291c7abe6df.jpg

Working on some trimming. I know what you're thinking: "Gavin, you deranged freak, you can't have two streets in a tank under 5 feet!"

True, but I kinda like it. I'm gonna add the remaining groups and If I still like the look of the blyxa japonica I'll straighten out the Lobelia street. 

Remaining groups are tentatively pearlweed just right of the Java fern  log and Brazilian pennywort as the front right curtain. 

I've also kinda given up on the lily growing tall and I think I'm just gonna move it forward.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 7:38 AM, Odd Duck said:

Looks pretty cool, to me. But give the poor lily some time!  😆 😉 

Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with. Plus it's been like six months, I'm starting to think it is just gonna stay small forever.

Edit: Ha! I went back to find when I added the lily and it has only been in this tank for a month. See point #1 😆

Edited by gjcarew
  • Haha 2

On 7/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, gjcarew said:

Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with. Plus it's been like six months, I'm starting to think it is just gonna stay small forever.

Edit: Ha! I went back to find when I added the lily and it has only been in this tank for a month. See point #1 😆

I’m ORD, but 6 months, 1 month, meh.  Barely a difference.  😆 😂 🤣 

• Haha 1

Double post day because I wanted to show how I trim and arrange stem plants.

Step 1. Uproot everything

Step 2. Arrange by height

Step 3. Trim to the appropriate length, remove any branching stems

20220701_211050.jpg.304df3f5b51d60301aa7f20a7a9e1225.jpg

Step 4. Remove adventitious ("aerial") roots and lower leaves

Step 5. Replant. How you do this depends on the shape you're going for, but in general taller plants go in back

This is only for plants where you don't want a "bush" shape. Since I don't have rotala anymore this is how I've been doing all my stems. It's kind of time consuming but you can get some very manicured groups with this process. Making round bushes is a whole other ballgame that I honestly need more practice with.

Rosette plants are easy, I just rip any unattractive leaves off at the base.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 8:16 AM, gjcarew said:

Step 1. Uproot everything

Step 2. Arrange by height

Step 3. Trim to the appropriate length, remove any branching stems

Step 4. Remove adventitious ("aerial") roots and lower leaves

Step 5. Replant. How you do this depends on the shape you're going for, but in general taller plants go in back

Maybe this is a "beginner question" or just a very specific point in the fish keeping career, but I think it's an interesting one.

Where did you learn how to keep plants?  I enjoy the way you're discussing how to process the trimmings and I think it's something where myself, other hobbyists that might not be so in tune with plants, really can benefit from advice like this.

Corvus Oscen has been my best source for trimming advice and learning how to actually care for the plants.