Apistogramma Journal

On 5/10/2022 at 6:55 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Tihshhothat was my thought as well 60 breeder would be great. I think though they are charging a premium, $189 for the 60 g and it is not eligible for the 50% off at PetCo, but right now a 55 g is 50% off so only $75. A 75 g is only $125. 

In terms of the 55 the nice thing is the bigger viewing window, in terms of aquascaping absolutely that height and narrowness are not ideal, I would prefer a 75 g personally or a 125 g but there are always limitations to our spouses "understanding" in regards to the hobby. 

explain to her that you are saving a lot of money by showing her the cost of a custom made tank 😉

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 7:55 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Tihshhothat was my thought as well 60 breeder would be great. I think though they are charging a premium, $189 for the 60 g and it is not eligible for the 50% off at PetCo, but right now a 55 g is 50% off so only $75. A 75 g is only $125. 

In terms of the 55 the nice thing is the bigger viewing window, in terms of aquascaping absolutely that height and narrowness are not ideal, I would prefer a 75 g personally or a 125 g but there are always limitations to our spouses "understanding" in regards to the hobby. 

LFS's near me have them for $129 which is undercutting Petco hard. 

• Like 1

@anewbiewe were watching that George Farmer aquascaping YT about the 310 g custom and she was staggered by what it cost. I suppose that may be an in to get something "bigger but not that big or expensive." 

@Tihshhothat is great to know. Unfortunately my LFS is a Fluval shop so that's what they sell as their "cheap" brand. I have options to travel up to Portland or elsewhere though. I drool everytime I go to Wet Spot and see 30 breeder/long. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2022 at 4:09 PM, Fish Folk said:

Just bought 12x Pencilfish (supposedly coral red, but maybe not…)

CFD6028A-D4F0-4D14-B4D7-45C3B5CAEE62.jpeg.5b5c14ceebdb000257588392195a31a3.jpeg

Excellent Apisto dithers. 

Very late to the party, but these look like Beckfordi's pencilfish. Also, price-wise, these are pretty cheap, about $3-5. I have a bunch, very colourful and active fish.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 10:27 AM, SandBkeeper said:

Very late to the party, but these look like Beckfordi's pencilfish. Also, price-wise, these are pretty cheap, about $3-5. I have a bunch, very colourful and active fish.

Yes! They’re definitely Nannostomus beckfordi. 

• 7 months later...

Any updates to this? Did you ever get any more spawning? I had a pair spawning in a 55 a couple days ago; Mom has been tending to them pretty closely, Dad has been ignoring them. Otherwise, the male and female basically ignore each other. It's a community tank so my expectations for fry survival are low, but there are a lot of hides and Mom is fearless. I saw that pulling the free swimming fry didn't work; knowing what you know now, when would you separate them from Mom? Thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 4:14 PM, anewbie said:

What temp do you keep the discus? If you keep a. agassizii warm they probably have a shorter life span. I think 78 is the typical temp for them and i tend to think of 86 for discus.

Yeah, they’re warm in that tank. Might rehome. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/23/2023 at 7:19 AM, Fish Folk said:

Nope. Male got sick and passed. Moved  along rest of them. I’ve never successfully bred apistos.

If you try again avoid cz stock; wc are best but if not available than hobbist bred. Be sure you understand the species behavior and water requirement - a few are pair bonding but most are polygamous where the female just 'uses' the male and then wants him gone.