Apistogramma Journal

On 3/14/2022 at 9:38 AM, Fish Folk said:

Breeder’s Award Program. We are part of Potomac Valley Aquarium Society, Fairfax VA

Interesting. I wish my neck of the wood had at least something interesting going on in the area of freshwater. I live in a 'large' city that is extremely backward. No tech stores, no aquarium clubs, not much of anything. Well a lot of interesting caves if you like caving.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 3:16 PM, anewbie said:

Interesting. I wish my neck of the wood had at least something interesting going on in the area of freshwater. I live in a 'large' city that is extremely backward. No tech stores, no aquarium clubs, not much of anything. Well a lot of interesting caves if you like caving.

We travel 2.5 hrs one way to get there. We really live in hillbilly land!

On 3/14/2022 at 2:21 PM, Fish Folk said:

We travel 2.5 hrs one way to get there. We really live in hillbilly land!

I could either spend 4 hours driving to atlanta or 2 hours flying to fairfax - probably both cheaper and faster to fly fairfax..

• Haha 1

Well, if at first you don’t succeed, try try again.

I cleared out and reset the 10 gal under this 20 long as a focused breeding tank. Coconut hut added, catappa leaves, some different plants, etc. Then I drained water from the 20 long into it, and let it run without fish for a week or so.

5076E976-333C-40A2-9F9E-CA582C0D0A97.jpeg.d4aee03d04326bec27c0fab94b726e0d.jpeg

Now I’ve added the male and one female, and fed a batch of live BBS. We shall see…

C13A7150-CFB2-4C16-8D71-CF5C27DD5685.jpeg.2b6e3555bf71d1337a23910f042dd916.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

You should be prepare to remove the male once they spawn.  While each fish is different frequently a 10 is too small and the male will not be able to escape the female aggression after laying eggs. cockatoo are not as bad as some species and sometimes the male and female will 'get along' after she lays eggs but other times she drives him away - hence a larger tank is better.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 4:33 PM, anewbie said:

Had you always intended to remove the male or did you see aggression between the female/male causing you to remove him ?

I noticed that the female was spending 90% of her time in the hut, so I inferred _maybe_ she was guarding. Your thoughts?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 3:50 PM, Fish Folk said:

I noticed that the female was spending 90% of her time in the hut, so I inferred _maybe_ she was guarding. Your thoughts?

Well if she is bright yellow that makes it more likely. You could try a flashlight but the eggs might be on the ceiling. Removing the male is probably the right thing if she has eggs. She could also be in the hut due to male aggression which can occur if she is not ready to breed. If she comes out with the male gone that would also answer the question.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, anewbie said:

Have you had a successful spawn since you purchased them ?

Yes. I bought a trio. Male and one female spawned once and had fry. In my eagerness to preserve the fry, I made the mistake of pulling them to a breeding basket. They pretty much died off within a week. Females really know how best to nurture fry. I'd have been wiser to have moved out the other female and male.

I next moved a female and male to a separate 10 gal to get them to spawn. Nothing doing. No fry. Nothing. Waited over a month. So now they're back in the other tank with Pencilfish.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 6:20 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I think with cichlids the need for dithers is under appreciated. I have some black mollies with my Krobia and it really helps. 

They definitely did better with the Pencilfish.

• Like 1

Hum. Not sure about hatchets - i would be concern the krobia would encourage their jumping behavior to an extreme. Also I had 4 inch dwarf cichlid in a 40B and i have to say it was really the limit of what i would put in that tank - not sure the Krobia would fit well - he just feels like a bigger fish but i suppose it depends how you scape it - my 40B has an awful lot of plants.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@anewbiemaybe I should plan it as a 55 g - the height may help me make it happen and take some of the pressure off the hatchets.  

Also they are really bottom to mid focused fish other than at feeding time they are never above mid-water.

I personally have never been a fan of the 55g tank being a tall long but narrow box. There is a 50B that is identical to a 40B but taller - it is not as common. There is also a 65 which is a 40B but even taller - perhaps too tall (definitely too tall for me) designed for people with long arms. I'd go with a 50B or 75 over a 55 but of course i'm just expressing my personal preference. There is also a 90 which is a tall 75 but again too tall for me - my 120 is 24 inches tall and it will be my last 24 inch tall tank. I just have problems reaching the bottom to manage plants.

-

40B 36x18x16 (l,w,h)

55    48x13x21

50 36x18x19

75 48x18x21

---

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 1:14 PM, anewbie said:

I personally have never been a fan of the 55g tank being a tall long but narrow box. There is a 50B that is identical to a 40B but taller - it is not as common. There is also a 65 which is a 40B but even taller - perhaps too tall (definitely too tall for me) designed for people with long arms. I'd go with a 50B or 75 over a 55 but of course i'm just expressing my personal preference. There is also a 90 which is a tall 75 but again too tall for me - my 120 is 24 inches tall and it will be my last 24 inch tall tank. I just have problems reaching the bottom to manage plants.

-

40B 36x18x16 (l,w,h)

55    48x13x21

50 36x18x19

75 48x18x21

---

I'd love to see that 50 breeder more commonplace. Not sure if I've ever seen one before.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 1:14 PM, anewbie said:

I personally have never been a fan of the 55g tank being a tall long but narrow box

I have to agree. The 55 is an odd set of dimensions that are not great to work with. for 4' tanks the 33L and to 40l IMO are the best. Same floorprint as the 55 just shorter.

The other option is the 60B which are now becoming more popular and being carried by the big box pet stores. Due to this demand, Aqueon is also selling these tanks to brick and mortar stores now who are retailing it less than the big box stores. It's a 75 floorprint, but not the 75 height. 

• Like 2

@Tihshhothat was my thought as well 60 breeder would be great. I think though they are charging a premium, $189 for the 60 g and it is not eligible for the 50% off at PetCo, but right now a 55 g is 50% off so only $75. A 75 g is only $125. 

In terms of the 55 the nice thing is the bigger viewing window, in terms of aquascaping absolutely that height and narrowness are not ideal, I would prefer a 75 g personally or a 125 g but there are always limitations to our spouses "understanding" in regards to the hobby.