Zucch Pile-on

Fish Folk

My bristlenose started eating green beans SO happily and it's always adorable. Plus, my black ruby barbs munch on it, too. Nothing goes to waste in my quarantine right now. 😍 Love your little guys!

By the way, do you know at what size/age bristlenose are able to be sexed? I'm not sure if I should be convinced I have a female yet or if the little fish is too young. About 2 inches long, maybe a bit more right now.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:33 PM, Colu said:

I only boil sweet potato and lettuce and spinach  I have never boil zucchini

It helps the pieces soften up, and sink.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:35 PM, laritheloud said:

By the way, do you know at what size/age bristlenose are able to be sexed? I'm not sure if I should be convinced I have a female yet or if the little fish is too young. About 2 inches long, maybe a bit more right now.

It depends on how warm they’re kept / how fast they grow. Normally mine take about 1-year to sex. But I’m sure others have separate experiences.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:46 PM, Fish Folk said:

It helps the pieces soften up, and sink.

It depends on how warm they’re kept / how fast they grow. Normally mine take about 1-year to sex. But I’m sure others have separate experiences.

Oop, I'll assume I have awhile to wait! I can be patient 😝 Such fun fish, I love how active and unskittish bristlenose are.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 9:10 PM, laritheloud said:

Oop, I'll assume I have awhile to wait! I can be patient 😝 Such fun fish, I love how active and unskittish bristlenose are.

I can’t remember exactly when I added these, but in the 80-84°-F Discus tank, this pair of BNPs has matured quickly.

CD3BD76C-C951-4685-B764-587C339B7467.jpeg.271b2f9ad146bc0a77779f461874eb9f.jpeg

4D7CE1C5-E3A1-4662-9BDF-E9159B3EC113.jpeg.95ba6a99c87f156756b852e742181d67.jpeg

Once the males grow out a pretty noticeable copule (bristles), they’re ready to spawn.

• Love 1

@Fish Folk and @laritheloud  they can be fairly reliably sexed by 4-6 months. @Beardedbillygoat1975 told me how. The one I’ve found I could most easily distinguish is the pink/red patch on the head of males only. I only think this part is visible in the light ones red albino and lemon. I’m not sure you can see it in others. He said other methods I hope he chimes in but I couldn’t tell by those I wasn’t quite certain what he meant. 

1776F575-7556-4D11-9351-8A99DB1E818C.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2022 at 9:22 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Fish Folk and @laritheloud  they can be fairly reliably sexed by 4-6 months. @Beardedbillygoat1975 told me how. The one I’ve found I could most easily distinguish is the pink/red patch on the head of males only. I only think this part is visible in the light ones red albino and lemon. I’m not sure you can see it in others. He said other methods I hope he chimes in but I couldn’t tell by those I wasn’t quite certain what he meant. 

1776F575-7556-4D11-9351-8A99DB1E818C.png

Huh! Do you know why a patch like that would signal a male? I think mine has one but now I have to go look at other photos!

@laritheloudthe thought is that this is male hormone related, only can really be seen in lemons, albinos, super reds and it’s my understanding snowwhites also get it. I saw it in a calico super red once because there was a red patch on the neck area so it was that color as well. I was conversing with a pleco breeder from Germany in a catfish forum and he clued this in as something to look for when they’re about 1-2” before the bristles come in. I was trying to locate males and he mentioned it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/25/2022 at 4:12 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@laritheloudpotentially. Keep an eye on them and see if it darkens. If it approaches a diamond shape of darker pink I bet a few $$ that bristles and lots of them are in your future. 

I was about to ask if it can be seen as they get older or if it goes way as skin gets thicker, etc, but my blue-eyed lemon just popped out.  I’ve been having some doubts about gender since the bristles have been present but not doing much and are later developing on this one than I expected.  I was starting to wonder if I had one of those extra bristly females.  But now the answer is clear!

Bonus pic of the gold nugget who was hanging out right there, too, because, well, just soooooo pretty!

A74AA526-E16C-4890-9904-DDC27201F9ED.jpeg

333AE87E-4516-4A76-949A-786AE8ACB507.jpeg

I’m starting to lean towards female for my nugget but I think still too young.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, Odd Duck said:

I was about to ask if it can be seen as they get older or if it goes way as skin gets thicker, etc, but my blue-eyed lemon just popped out.  I’ve been having some doubts about gender since the bristles have been present but not doing much and are later developing on this one than I expected.  I was starting to wonder if I had one of those extra bristly females.  But now the answer is clear!

Bonus pic of the gold nugget who was hanging out right there, too, because, well, just soooooo pretty!

A74AA526-E16C-4890-9904-DDC27201F9ED.jpeg

333AE87E-4516-4A76-949A-786AE8ACB507.jpeg

I’m starting to lean towards female for my nugget but I think still too young.

Love that gold nugget! Wow. 

• Love 1

On 2/26/2022 at 3:44 PM, Fish Folk said:

Love that gold nugget! Wow. 

I know!  Every time I see him/her I’m blown away all over again.  And I see him/her almost every day!  Sometimes it’s in the dark after lights out, but I can still catch those spots and fin margins.

I scored a snowball pleco (L201) yesterday for $40.00!  A local guy bought him/her thinking it was a different species (I can’t remember what species he wanted), got it home and decided he didn’t want it.  Well, I’ve got a 100 G, that eventually will be an angelfish tank, that will be a perfect spot for it.  S/he will have some bristlenose friends and plenty of caves.  I might even try for a couple more snowballs but the price they usually have is stupid.

Same for my nugget.  I’d love to breed them, or at least facilitate them each breeding in their respective 100’s and if fry survive, I’d be super happy. First I gotta find them for a decent price.  I lucked into both of these guys.  I guess I have a thing for spotted plecos.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Love 1

On 2/26/2022 at 7:22 PM, Odd Duck said:

I know!  Every time I see him/her I’m blown away all over again.  And I see him/her almost every day!  Sometimes it’s in the dark after lights out, but I can still catch those spots and fin margins.

I scored a snowball pleco (L201) yesterday for $40.00!  A local guy bought him/her thinking it was a different species (I can’t remember what species he wanted), got it home and decided he didn’t want it.  Well, I’ve got a 100 G, that eventually will be an angelfish tank, that will be a perfect spot for it.  S/he will have some bristlenose friends and plenty of caves.  I might even try for a couple more snowballs but the price they usually have is stupid.

Same for my nugget.  I’d love to breed them, or at least facilitate them each breeding in their respective 100’s and if fry survive, I’d be super happy. First I gotta find them for a decent price.  I lucked into both of these guys.  I guess I have a thing for spotted plecos.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Awesome! I’ll look for any posts / updates you share. I’ve never ventured past BNPs, but this photo alone could persuade me…

On 2/26/2022 at 6:24 PM, Fish Folk said:

Awesome! I’ll look for any posts / updates you share. I’ve never ventured past BNPs, but this photo alone could persuade me…

It’ll be a while.  I just barely got my dry start underway.  😆  You know me, I’ve got all these ideas and plans and my old body rebels and keeps me in my chair way more often than I really have excuses for.  The cold, rainy, nasty weather we’ve been having lately is so demotivating. 🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1