Plague in 15 g Tower Tank

Beardedbillygoat1975

Everyone was alive this AM. Will plan to dose some more ACCR and go from there following the schedule for the abx this evening. 

A question that I have been thinking a lot about is eventually I will rehome these fish (hopefully alive and healthy!) but that leaves this tank, filters and substrate. I want to solicit opinions:

1. Do I need to completely break down this tank, scrub it and the filters after having bombed it with antibiotics for the better part of 3 weeks?

2. Or I have seen some other folks just drop a bottle of h202 in the tank and then let that settle for 24 hours then water change, substrate vacuum and start over?

3. Or should I never use this substrate again tossing it out?

This is all very much personal choice based on our individual experiences I know but I would love the hive minds views on this. Best practices are just that best practices. Cheers everyone!

On 2/8/2022 at 11:13 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Everyone was alive this AM. Will plan to dose some more ACCR and go from there following the schedule for the abx this evening. 

A question that I have been thinking a lot about is eventually I will rehome these fish (hopefully alive and healthy!) but that leaves this tank, filters and substrate. I want to solicit opinions:

1. Do I need to completely break down this tank, scrub it and the filters after having bombed it with antibiotics for the better part of 3 weeks?

2. Or I have seen some other folks just drop a bottle of h202 in the tank and then let that settle for 24 hours then water change, substrate vacuum and start over?

3. Or should I never use this substrate again tossing it out?

This is all very much personal choice based on our individual experiences I know but I would love the hive minds views on this. Best practices are just that best practices. Cheers everyone!

Antibiotics have probably killed any bacterial concerns at this point. And.

I know that parasites and viral agents are impervious to antibiotics.

I know that my peace of mind would require either H2O2 or vinegar, let it soak for 24 hours, then rinse everything and dry the substrate in the sun.

I almost never get rid of substrate, because I don't want to read in the news how our local aquifers and waterways have been contaminated by aquarists improperly disposing of aquarium items (plants, amphopods, etc) and wondering if I had contributed. 

Much easier (and less expensive) to run UV sterilization, use H2O2 and/or vinegar, and reuse.

Plus, the dirt from retired tanks is like flooding along the Nile for my house plants!

[I realize that my concern borders on OCD, and I grew up with almost everyone in the family being in healthcare, or various interplays of biology and environmental sciences. Ounce of prevention and all that.]

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 2/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, Torrey said:

I know that my peace of mind would require either H2O2 or vinegar, let it soak for 24 hours, then rinse everything and dry the substrate in the sun.

This is what I would do as well. I just don’t take chances. The forever worrying alone would make me dislike the tank if I did not go this route. 

• Like 2

@PineSongMy 3 ricefish are still alive, on day 5 of the protocol Colu advocated and things certainly have been worse. I have a lot going well in my hobby and at this point I am on the other side of this and it gives me an opportunity to do a different scape using different fish. I can certainly see why people give up when these things happen but luckily I have the support of all the NERMS. 

• Like 2

@Patrick_GWell I have everything on hand to do a new scape and tank. It’s a new opportunity to do something that will work with such a tall tank which is not always easy. What is it with me and tall tanks - 45 g tall and this 15?  I suppose that’s the hardest part was it really worked for the unique dimensions. I like a challenge and spent a couple hours designing the scape on paper. I’ve got the 45 g to rescape, the Panda Cory Mansion to build, and a ricefish tub to make as well this weekend. Plenty of projects to keep me busy. Also going to make the foam door a slider. Always something when you’re an aquarist! 

@xXInkedPhoenixXI think that’s the consensus- pull everything out, treat the substrate with h202 and let the sun and uv bake it. I’ll scrub it down and then put it back and start again!

• Like 3

Just saw this.  I'm so sorry you had to go through this!  I fully commiserate having just gone through a few months of a disease that jumped from tank to tank and resisted early efforts to medicate.  I am so glad things are on the upswing for you, and even more so that you are persisting!  It's an incredibly hard learning process when mistakes and setbacks cost the lives of critters in our care.  Glad you are hanging in there!

• Thanks 1