How to transport a inherited tank

Taco Playz

Hello fellow fish keepers!! Someone recently I know father died and he owned a large fish tank with three goldfish and they wanted me to have it. Tomorrow I am going to take the fish and the tank home with me! I have no idea what I am getting into because I have never kept a tank bigger than 29 gallons and I have never kept goldfish in my life. Please give me information on transporting the tank and fish too because that is the most important part about the whole process. Thanks for the help!! 

• Like 1

I would get a large bin or tub to transport the fish in with a battery powered air stone if it going to take a long time to get them home I would also rap the tank in bubble rap and make sure it can't move a round to much during transport

Edited by Colu
  • Like 3

I recently purchased a 75 gallon aquarium that came with some african cichlids and a few other fish. I just put the fish in a 5 gal bucket and used an airstone to keed the oxygen levels up.  As for the tank, I just placed a blanket under it to pad the bottom glass and used a second blanket tho protect the sides. I left the substrate in the aquarium and had no issues.

Ive moved a few large tanks.

You will need a truck or van to move the tank, and several furniture blankets (you can rent these from moving services) to cusion the tank during transport. Thats the easy part tbh

The hardest part about moving fish is breaking everything down and putting it back up for the fish. 
You want to keep all your fliter media wet during transport, to save the bacteria. I'd get some reputible bottled bacteria as well to be safe, as a move is a huge shock to a system. 
Keep all the decor and plants wet as well, in tank water. 5gal buckets from home depot are the best for this. 

Then once the tank is leveled and ready, just set everything back up as you would normally. If you want to run an airstone for the goldies i think that would be a good idea. 

But you can put the fish back in once everything is set up and the water is the correct temp. I float them in ziploc bags just like i would if they came from the pet store. 

• Love 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:47 PM, Taco Playz said:

It’s 15 minutes away from my house. Do y’all think I need an air stone in that time?

for a 15 minute trip, id not bother with an air source. over an hour, and id figure something out.  how big of a tank is big?

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:34 PM, lefty o said:

for a 15 minute trip, id not bother with an air source. over an hour, and id figure something out.  how big of a tank is big?

For me big is like 29 gallons because I own all nano and no super big ones the “big” one I have is 29 gallons. This tank is at least 60 gallons if not more.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 5:03 PM, Taco Playz said:

For me big is like 29 gallons because I own all nano and no super big ones the “big” one I have is 29 gallons. This tank is at least 60 gallons if not more.

Get measurements of the tank and make sure it will fit in whatever vehicle you are using. If it comes with a stand, make sure they both will fit in one trip, or prepare for two. You can determine the capacity of the tank as well if you know the dimensions. I can't post a link but googling standard aquarium dimensions will provide several sites with charts for tanks sizes based on dimensions. 

• Like 1