No filter tank

Intuos

I currently have an unused 34g tank and am thinking of trying to set it up without using a filter, just an air stone and wave maker for water circulation (have a spare filter I can use if needed). Has anyone here tried it? 

The plan would be to use fluval stratum as a nutrient layer and then crushed lava rock for the substrate with larger pieces as the hard scape. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

I have not done this before but I do not see any issue with it unless you want to heavily stock it. And the more plants the better of course! I am a big fan of using riparian plants as well so I think those would be really beneficial for this type of setup. 

I’ve had fun with a little three gallon unfiltered tank. The only thing I don’t like is the accumulation of detritus on my sand substrate. If I try another one I’ll go for a rough substrate like Eco-complete. With that the detritus settles below the substrate instead of on top. I don’t use a  airstone or circulation pump but I do have a heater since the room temp is 66.

Have used gravel as a cap in the past looking to try something a bit different. Going filterless I feel that lava rock offers a lot of surface area for bb and will give a unique look. 

Always use a lot of plants in my scape could probably do it without having to buy any 😂

• Like 2

Lucas Bretts AKA the mad scientist has bunches of video's on in on Youtube.  I currently have a 20 Gallon bucket I put about 2"of pebbles in the bottom and an airstone filled it with water lettuce and let that churn for about 3 months with a light on a timer and than started pulling guppies out in trios of one of my tanks and I personally waited about a month inbetween adding more but as of now I"ve got probably 30 guppies with nothing but an airstone, and a heater (its in my basement which in the winter months stays around 55 to 60*)  other than that its all natural. I have had some die off but i'm convinced they are from natural causes seeing how it was very spiritic.  Hope this helps 

• Like 1

A 34 gallon is a weird size. What are the measurements on that? If it is deep I would definitely try a deep sand bed to stabilize it. Someone was complaining of detritus on sand beds. A turkey baster and an over-sized HOB temporarily turned up to high will do wonders. Takes a little practice but the junk will float and the sand will drop. Build a little skill and it will work wonders.

Stratum's pH is lower? This is something I did not know. I only have it in pots right now, but that is something to keep in mind. 

If you have a tank of that size, yeah, a deep sand bed will take up all of it.

And just to clarify, I use sand as part of the substrate. But I only top with straight sand. If you truly make a full 8+ inch sand bed it'll drain even slower than Novak wants it to. The full substrate is a mix of stuff I have lying around. Stratum, gravel, and sand are always in there. Crushed coral makes it in there often. I top with pure sand, and that can be cleaned usually. If it really gets jacked up you can retop a portion of it. I also like to build boxes to keep it neat out of cloroplast which is that corrugated pvc stuff. Keeps it from spreading around or shifting. My first experience with sand was a complete catastrophe. But I got stubborn and tamed it.

I have a 5 gallon tank on my desk at work that doesn't have a filter or anything for added air.  The only electrical appliance is a light.  It's moderately planted, and currently only stocked with shrimp.  I've had guppies in it before, but took them home since I wasn't in the office for two weeks over the holidays.

The substrate is about 1-1/2" of Black Diamond sandblasting sand.

• Like 1

The only filterless "tank" I've done to date is my 1.5g jarrarium, but I've been reading more and watching videos on doing it with aquariums. I totally LOVE the concept, and my jarrarium is the least maintenance item in my home. I'd love to do that on a larger scale with a few fish, instead of just shrimp and snails.

Anyway, here's one of the videos I ran across recently that I found to be fabulous. It's almost 40 minutes long but Alex does great explanations on things.

https://youtu.be/woaStNw0Efs

• Like 1

• 1 month later...