Hi,

Sorry I don't have a photo, but I noticed a small tiny worm inching along my betta tonight. It was maybe a milimeter or 2mm in length, very small. Didn't look to me like an anchor worm. It also did not look like a flathead worm, but it was very tiny. It was moving around my betta's body, on top of his scales, near his head and gills. My fish has been showing some signs of distress lately, including lethargy and tears in the fins. He is also approx. 2.5 years old.

Can someone help me identify if this should be a cause for concern?

Additionally, I have API Fungus Cure, Tetra Fungus Guard, and Tetra Lifeguard all-in-one treatment. Please advise if any of these chemicals might be helpful to use.

Thank you!

On 1/11/2022 at 2:01 PM, Colu said:

Have you noticed your fish rubbing against things in the tank any loss of appetite  rapid breathing @BeetleLann

Not particularly to rubbing against things. Lately it appears he likes hang out in a particular bottom corner of the tank or in a dark spot under some plant cover. He appears more lethargic than active. Right now, his breathing does appear rapid, but I am doing a water change, so perhaps it is causing him some stress. I do try to be as minimally disruptive as possible. Should I keep an eye out for rapid breathing?

On 1/11/2022 at 12:32 PM, HydraSlayer said:

I'd recommend buying some Fritz Paracleanse for him just to be absolutely safe.

Tho, the lethargy may be from his old age. Bettas slow down over time.

Thank you for the advice and product suggestion! I cannot give you a "like" because I have reached my daily limit, but this is helpful.

His colour is starting to dull a bit, too, so I assume he's a bit of a grumpy old man now. I just want to keep him as happy and healthy as possible.

On 1/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, Mydonkeyfish said:

Possibly a detritus worm. Dont worry they arent harmful but they eat fish poop.

Ohhh, thank you! Is it normal for detritus worms to crawl on fish, though? I normally just see them in the substrate, or maybe on the glass once in a while.

On 1/11/2022 at 3:32 PM, Mydonkeyfish said:

I have seen them on fish before and snails! Your betta was probably resting when the worm decided to catch a ride.

I think that's a good hypothesis!

I added the Tetra All-In-One tablets, maybe I should remove those, eh?