Show me your stands! I need inspiration or ideas on how to enclose or cover mine up!

Goldie Blue

My aquarium stand isn't ideal at all, and I'd love to cover the front up with something pretty, or build something onto it like doors. Wishful thinking but also a shelf inside if it's possible. It's metal, so how would it work to use hinges for doors? 

What kind of creative setups do you have? I'd have loved an enclosed stand but this was a gift and I didn't think it through before setting things up. Show me your stand set ups, and throw me some ideas! 

IMG_20220106_162714.jpg

All my stands(and some dressers/tables/closet shelves 😉) are enclosed, but I have seen people hang a table cloth or curtain from the stand to hide what’s underneath, and my aunt (who now suffers from MTS) has a second smaller table underneath her 70 gallon tank which she puts holiday decorations on.

I wouldn’t put hinges on the stand unless it is no-drill hinges. Those stands are designed to hold a lot of weight, and changing the structure could have disastrous results.

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

So, I'm not very handy. And I'm fine with things not being perfect. For REAL builders / DIY folks / Carpenters . . . this may sound like a dumb idea. But I'd totally just do this:

I'd figure out the exact dimensions for front doors that would leave you with ca. 1/4 inch gap between doors.

1644345909_ScreenShot2022-01-06at9_34_31PM.png.ab0c14b55b5ca684cb1667e8a1548a37.png

And I'd go to my favorite hardware store, buy thin, cheap 1/4-inch plywood (you could totally get better wood though). I'd first cut these to the perfect size. Then, proceed to spray with an all-in-one satin-black spray paint (do this outdoors). I'd put on several coats, and make sure I'd sealed it all around the edges. May take a few days to be creative and get everything even. Then I'd make judicious use of Gorilla Glue Super Glue Gel. I'd glue handles in place. Then I'd glue hinges onto the door, let dry. Then I'd glue the hinges onto the legs of your stand with a method devised to ensure that the doors can be clamped perfectly in place. Do not allow the glue to get onto the moving pin part of the hinges themselves, just on the footers normally screwed into place. If you can clamp this all together for a day, you should be in business. Last touch would be to glue on a magnetic catch to the door.

1534512577_ScreenShot2022-01-06at9_47_32PM.png.a003f6f5573e6793e01f3ef6639e977f.png

Maybe this is a terrible idea. If you do it, and it is amazing, it was totally my idea.

If it falls apart . . . my wife is already laughing . . .

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:56 PM, Fish Folk said:

Maybe this is a terrible idea. If you do it, and it is amazing, it was totally my idea.

If it falls apart . . . my wife is already laughing . . .

I love this lol. I'm not so handy but there is nothing that my best friend can't build, so if you can dream it she can build it. My husband says we should just buy a new stand, but that is a LOT of work to move it and I'd rather DIY this one up. I'm going to show this to bestie and see what we can do. I very much appreciate the detailed explanation and pictures! 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:16 PM, Goldie Blue said:

I love this lol. I'm not so handy but there is nothing that my best friend can't build, so if you can dream it she can build it. My husband says we should just buy a new stand, but that is a LOT of work to move it and I'd rather DIY this one up. I'm going to show this to bestie and see what we can do. I very much appreciate the detailed explanation and pictures! 

If she's handy, she'll figure out a ton of ways to improve on the idea. My son and I have built a few stands and racks. from scratch before...

CCF76F6E-9E87-41DE-AAA6-128538B9552F.jpeg.3e87f1108326dbaae6f453742483649a.jpeg

4BD01503-F5FF-4A70-BA1C-6AAAD55D0B1A.jpeg.b6e604c46c028c7984ac4f81a6c3b857.jpeg

53448EAD-29C9-4AA0-B171-7CAE3C6F8D77.jpeg.cff83a41afedba42b5dca15514f823b9.jpeg

• Love 2

On 1/6/2022 at 9:27 PM, Fish Folk said:

My son and I have built a few stands and racks. from scratch before...

Those look spectacular! Your tanks are beautiful. I'd love to have a multi tiered stand like that with several tanks in my office one day. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:35 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

So she got a bunch of strong magnet clips and put them all the way around and hung material to cover the bottom. 

I had some magnets on there for Christmas actually. It's definitely a fast way to solve the problem for the short term. I hate seeing the canister and all the stuff down there, plus I want to lift it up off the ground in general.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:37 PM, Goldie Blue said:

Those look spectacular! Your tanks are beautiful. I'd love to have a multi tiered stand like that with several tanks in my office one day. 

We built it when we started breeding. I think we bred . . . Auratus Cichlids in the top 40 gal first, and Kribensis in the middle 20 gal. 1-minute into the video below, you can see the rack as it's being finished, painted, etc.

• Love 1

@Fish Folkbeing a carpenter I like your idea. It’s certainly an inexpensive option that would be easy for most to do. I think you would have to stay with 1/4” material, can’t say for sure but after you paint add hinges and a handle it can get a bit heavy for super glue.

couple other options:
-on inside super glue/ and (maybe) use black zip ties to adhere a painted black wood 2x4(RED) flush with face of stand. Most home improvement stores sell pre built doors in their cabinets section.(YELLOW) or of course they can be built by your friend or custom ordered.990524D8-88CA-4211-B202-54DDFC18C74B.jpeg.86ed1436628571f5c90dbfc1de1504d3.jpeg

-build a 3 sided plywood enclosure mount to wall with L clip. Cut holes for doors. And in this design a cleat could be added inside after it’s in place at each end and a shelf could be added .9751D2F8-926A-4A3F-A1B5-282F49F4A09B.jpeg.84e09207aa8ab638f7412b07d280e9b3.jpeg

this is kinda similar it’s just a simple enclosure I built that is three sided back and two side panels (it’s paneled above tank then 2- 4x4 on top to hold weight of upper tanks)that was placed over tank after it was set up then I added the door panel to the front. F1C29C50-49AF-4CE8-BB83-D0F954CEC3EA.jpeg.2bd90efbb69c1d75a0c2af3dc2514804.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think adding some plywood panels with magnets is a great idea. I’m also with your husband on buying an enclosed stand. It’s just a matter of draining out 90% of the water, lifting up the tank and sliding the new stand underneath. It should be easy if it’s a 40 gallon or less. 

Another idea would be to use the steel stand as a frame for a plywood enclosure that’s attached with sheet metal screws. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:50 PM, Atitagain said:

@Fish Folkbeing a carpenter I like your idea. It’s certainly an inexpensive option that would be easy for most to do. I think you would have to stay with 1/4” material, can’t say for sure but after you paint add hinges and a handle it can get a bit heavy for super glue.

couple other options:
-on inside super glue/ and (maybe) use black zip ties to adhere a painted black wood 2x4(RED) flush with face of stand. Most home improvement stores sell pre built doors in their cabinets section.(YELLOW) or of course they can be built by your friend or custom ordered.990524D8-88CA-4211-B202-54DDFC18C74B.jpeg.86ed1436628571f5c90dbfc1de1504d3.jpeg

-build a 3 sided plywood enclosure mount to wall with L clip. Cut holes for doors. And in this design a cleat could be added inside after it’s in place at each end and a shelf could be added .9751D2F8-926A-4A3F-A1B5-282F49F4A09B.jpeg.84e09207aa8ab638f7412b07d280e9b3.jpeg

this is kinda similar it’s just a simple enclosure I built that is three sided back and two side panels (it’s paneled above tank then 2- 4x4 on top to hold weight of upper tanks)that was placed over tank after it was set up then I added the door panel to the front. F1C29C50-49AF-4CE8-BB83-D0F954CEC3EA.jpeg.2bd90efbb69c1d75a0c2af3dc2514804.jpeg

^^This is the right way to do it^^

On 1/6/2022 at 9:43 PM, Fish Folk said:

1-minute into the video below, you can see the rack as it's being finished, painted, etc.

What a cool video! Thank you for sharing. I really love that stand. Filing away ideas for later projects lol. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:54 PM, Patrick_G said:

It should be easy if it’s a 40 gallon or less. 

It's a 55g. He says that we should get a new one, but I am sure he'll complain every step of the way in the process of moving it lol. He has 0 interest in the fish and doesn't enjoy helping in any way, which is fine because it's my interest and hobby, but sadly I don't have the muscles for some of this stuff hehe. 

@Atitagain thank you for another detailed visual walkthrough! This community rocks! 

• Like 1

If I develop any kind of mts it's going to be nanos because I live in a small apartment. My 55 gal is the only sizable tank I have room for, although I could have done a 75 if I hadn't chickened out. I had a week or so where I began to notice that pondy chlorophyll smell. I absolutely need to feel on top of things so the place won't smell.

I could build a shelving unit for the other room which could turn into a small nano wall...I'm patient. Trying to get this 55 working is enough for right now. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:23 PM, Goldie Blue said:

It's a 55g. He says that we should get a new one, but I am sure he'll complain every step of the way in the process of moving it lol.

Haha, yup a 55 is getting to the point where it would be a pain to lift, even with most of the water drained. 

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2022 at 11:37 PM, Fish Folk said:

Maybe cyanobacteria. It has a unique stink! Unfortunately, ever since I had COVID, I cannot smell stink in my fishroom...  

I think it is. here it is on the gravel. It was hitting my rotalia hard. H2O2 dip to the rescue.

image6.jpeg.e76cff16d3c1e820529dcb568da2b728.jpeg

If I keep after it I can keep the smell down to where I don't notice.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:37 PM, Fish Folk said:

Maybe cyanobacteria. 

How does one get rid of it?

Edited by isaly
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 11:45 PM, isaly said:

I think it is. here it is on the gravel. It was hitting my rotalia hard.

How to get rid of it???

image6.jpeg.e76cff16d3c1e820529dcb568da2b728.jpeg

Yeah . . . that's cyanobacteria alright.

Here's a very helpful blog article from the CoOp about it. It's often referred to as "blue-green algae," but it's not algae.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/blue-green-algae

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 5:08 PM, Goldie Blue said:

My aquarium stand isn't ideal at all, and I'd love to cover the front up with something pretty, or build something onto it like doors. Wishful thinking but also a shelf inside if it's possible. It's metal, so how would it work to use hinges for doors? 

What kind of creative setups do you have? I'd have loved an enclosed stand but this was a gift and I didn't think it through before setting things up. Show me your stand set ups, and throw me some ideas! 

IMG_20220106_162714.jpg

You have the same stand as my spouse.

I just bought 8 L brackets that I am going to attach to 2 wood 'shelves' I bought. Will be using the brackets to hold the shelves in place on the frame.

The metal is a decent quality for strong magnets, so we are discussing getting wood panels and attaching heavy duty magnets from Harbor Freight to the wood paneling, so it can stick to the stand. I will probably counter sink the magnets, then glue them in, unless I can find more magnets with a screw hole in the center (would still counter sink the magnets so they would be flush in the wood).

Past solutions have included velcro to attach panels made of lujan sheets (extremely thin wood veneer), velcro to attach curtains, and suspension of a bamboo pole cut to size, and running curtains on the bamboo. 

As for the cyanobacteria, my favorite way to get rid of it is spot treatment with H2O2, or an H2O2 dip. It will come right back if you don't eliminate the cause, however. I have one tank that I am still struggling to find the perfect balance of light and nutrients. 

Once there are enough plants, the plants seem to croud out the cyanobacteria. Until then... it's annoying and stinky.

@Fish Folk, my spouse and I got covid March 2020. Still have not fully regained an accurate sense of smell. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:52 AM, Torrey said:

As for the cyanobacteria, my favorite way to get rid of it is spot treatment with H2O2, or an H2O2 dip. It will come right back if you don't eliminate the cause, however. I have one tank that I am still struggling to find the perfect balance of light and nutrients. 

Once there are enough plants, the plants seem to croud out the cyanobacteria. Until then... it's annoying and stinky.

I feel like I've discovered the joys of H2O2 over the last couple of weeks. I dipped some of the rotalia.

I tried filling a 3ml pipette, inserting it into the gravel and squeezing it in under the cyano—hoping it'll diffuse upwards. It works somewhat, but i don't want to go nuts, squirting the stuff in willy nilly.

I'm working on more plants. MORE PLANTS!

I'm ORD already!?!

How can I be out of daily reacts???🤦‍♂️

Yes, H2O2 is wonderful stuff, and like any medication or treatment, works best in moderation. I don't know what the max recommended dose is, I do know that any iron (like hemoglobin in blood, which is flowing through fish gills) makes it foam. I just learned that some of the live foods are also iron rich, so I really try to limit to spot treatments. 

Did you know there's a live food for our fish that eat cyanobacteria? I just found this paper that discusses favorite bacterial foods:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FA024

Moina are (apparently) a healthy live food, and using a combination of yeast, chlorella, and even cyanobacteria makes them healthier than manure.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:16 PM, Goldie Blue said:

My husband says we should just buy a new stand, but that is a LOT of work to move it and I'd rather DIY this one up. I'm going to show this to bestie and see what we can do. I very much appreciate the detailed explanation and pictures

Sorry I don't have pictures yet, I have to wait for medical clearance before I can build. Your friend should be able to help you counter sink the holes to put the industrial magnets in to get the wood to attach to the frame. Measure the front piece of wood (or use a wood veneer) wide enough to also cover your side pieces of wood, to give your cabinet a smooth, sleek finish. You can paint or stain the wood to match the rest of your furniture.

If you use veneer or lujan, you can use wood glue to attach wood trim (and act as a recess to help hold the magnets).

I prefer magnets to hinges, because hinged doors require a lot more work *and* take up space when working under the tank. A flat front piece of wood held in place with magnets is visually more appealing, and can be taken off for quick & easy access and stored out of the way while working under the tank.

Look at Cory's tours of the store, where he shows how the noise dampening fronts are just magneted on. If anything under your tank is noisy, you can staple noise dampening insulation onto the inside of the wood panels you magnet to your stand.

• Love 1

I recently built this one for the 29g. It's just a 2x4 frame and covered in 5mm underlayment plywood. Doors are 1x2 with underlayment inserts. Casing to trim top and bottom and corner trim on front edges. Stained with dark walnut color and polyed. All cheap stuff from Home Depot, no exotic or expensive woods. Material costs were <$100, buying one like this premade probably would've cost at least a few hundred.

I had a cheap black one already, but was informed that "it doesn't go with anything in our living room".

Planning to make a matching canopy next.

20220110_154930.jpg

Edited by Preyhunter
Add info
  • Like 1
  • Love 1