Electric Blue Acara Journal

Fish Folk

I’ve decided to start a new journal. These are my favorite mid-sized Cichlids.

I came home from a long day out, and found a surprise…

So, I went in to pull since these were already eating their eggs…

And here is how I set up my hatching container. I suspend in the tank with tank water…

I’ll keep this journal going. These will be  2nd generation EBAs if any survive. I’ll note that I performed a large water change yesterday, and that they’d been showing signs of spawning before that.

One more little touch…

• Like 3
  • Love 4

• 3 weeks later...

So for a long while, this 40 breeder has been bothering me. It has something… maybe diatom algae… or strange mulm buildup… everywhere. The Acaras aren’t looking perfectly healthy either. I did a big water change , gravel vac-ed, squeezed sponges out, and added a powerhead with coarse pre-filter intake sponge. An air pump charges the bubble-burst, like I’ve done in several other tanks.

I’m going to leave it set this way awhile and observe how everyone looks the next few months.

Interesting. both my tanks with acaras are the same...and they eat every snail I put in. I think that is somehow related? either I have too many nutrients or the wrong kind and the snails are normally on patrol? Something...It is only my acara tanks. And I am about to tear my hair out.

I have an idea I want to try, I will move the acaras out of the smaller tank and throw in a handful of ramshorns. And just watch what happens. Maybe a platy.

• Love 1

On 1/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, Brandy said:

Interesting. both my tanks with acaras are the same...and they eat every snail I put in. I think that is somehow related? either I have too many nutrients or the wrong kind and the snails are normally on patrol? Something...It is only my acara tanks. And I am about to tear my hair out.

I have an idea I want to try, I will move the acaras out of the smaller tank and throw in a handful of ramshorns. And just watch what happens. Maybe a platy.

I cannot find a single snail alive in mine either. I stuck in 40+ MTS a few months ago. Zero visible. Eerie like the sands of Tatooine…

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been trying to get a pair of EBAs to confirm for me in my 40 gal with the young Discus and Rams. They’re so much easier to sell as a confirmed pair.

Look at how stellar blue the male stays, and how strangely washed out she gets…

147FBABB-B654-4CB2-954B-0758EE60FFD7.jpeg.cb149a6b72709cc9a071c68f9c4f07e3.jpeg

8DED9266-D7AE-4194-9FE6-05DDC96BE357.jpeg.3c7d410a4d82eeb610371b53b10ca728.jpeg

B7FAE308-259A-4590-9BAE-9BB3C7979C54.jpeg.d6bbf1376c259ea112527abde3e4c74f.jpeg

He certainly seems to think she’s a female!

• Like 2