Converting from HOB to Sponge Filter

Lds760

I have a 20 gallon long - cycled / well-seasoned tank with a HOB filter. I want to convert to a sponge filter to start a Cherry Shrimp tank.

I plan to run both the HOB and the sponge filter in parallel for a while to get the sponge well populated with bacteria before removing the HOB (and before putting the Cherry Shrimp in).

How long would this take?  The answer is probably “it depends” but are we talking a few days or a few weeks?

Any advice?

You can jump start your sponge filter quickly if you want to. Just get a bucket of your tank water and clean out the hob filter in it. Now get the sponge filter running, air stone and all, and run it in the bucket of bacteria laden water.  Of course you need to reinstall the hob filter on the tank. After one or two days the sponge filter is good to go in the tank. Remove the hob filter after another week or so.

Edited by DaveO
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2021 at 9:27 PM, DaveO said:

You can jump start your sponge filter quickly if you want to. Just get a bucket of your tank water and clean out the hob filter in it. Now get the sponge filter running, air stone and all, and run it in the bucket of bacteria laden water.  Of course you need to reinstall the hob filter on the tank. After one or two days the sponge filter is good to go in the tank. Remove the hob filter after another week or so.

Thats a great idea. 

I would use that method if you plan to not use the HOB anymore after switching.

Personally I would keep both filters with a prefilter on the HOB

• Thanks 1