What to feed Molly fry?

Alec

On 12/18/2021 at 6:54 PM, Alec said:

I just had my first batch of molly fry. I want to feed them good foods, but life baby brine is not an option for me. I have the co ops easy fry food. What other food could I give? I also have extreme krill flakes I can crumble real fine. What about Hikari First bites

All of those are good. Just don’t overfeed. 

• Thanks 1

@Alec As @lefty o said, the key is small amounts. For my part, I can typically only feed my fish 2x per day with my work schedule. IF your fry are swimming freely in a well-planted tank, they'll find loads of good things to graze on. Overall environment can balance feedings out -- even overfeeding, sometimes.

But where I've personally had struggles is where I keep my fry in a small, closed container and happen to feed too much. Their stomaches are small. IT's easy to overdo it. I'm just not sure what your situation is.

If you're interested, here's a card to another post of a complete spawning report we did on breeding Tangerine Painted Lyre-tail Mollys. There's a couple videos at the front end. This was the last species my son bred to earn his "Advanced Breeders Award" with our Fish Club. Interestingly, the fry split out some black, others tangerine; some lyre tail, others not:

• Thanks 1

For the most part, I am community breeding my guppies, so they remain in the same tank as the adults. These are all well established planted tanks and I don’t go out of my way to feed the fry separately. They find plenty of microorganisms to feed off of plus the scraps of whatever the adults don’t eat. If you have adults in your tank as well, you may have to feed a little extra to ensure the fry/juveniles get some. However if the fry are separated, minimize the amount and increase the frequency (As others have said already). Keep us updated! 

• Like 1