Aquarium Stand Options.

Cinnebuns

Hey, so I'm very new to fish. I just got a new 29 gallon aquarium. I realized the table I was originally going to put it on will not hold it. I am considering other pieces of furniture but it has me nervous now. Do I need to purchase a stand made for the tank or will a piece of furniture work?  Any advice as to what to look for in said furniture?  I have included a pic of 2 pieces of furniture I currently have and am considering. One is currently holding my 5 gallon. Excuse the mess around them lol. I have seen other options on marketplace but I want to make sure it's going to work.  Ty

16394332294323489248836516360455.jpg

16394332530452423760808260934224.jpg

You are probably nervous for good reason. The first table looks too small for a 29 gallon and the second looks like flimsy fiberboard. If you look on marketplace you will find quality made used furniture at good prices. That's what I always do for my stands, and they are strong. Try thrift stores too. Sometimes you can find just what you're looking for.

29 gallons of water is 241.57 pounds at 8.33 pounds per gallon. Add the weight of the aquarium and you are over 250 pounds. Furniture works fine as long as it will hold up that weight and support that constant load over time.

Another important factor is the position of the aquarium on the furniture. Placing it near or on top of vertical structural support might be important. Also, you might want to take into account whether the furniture would be significantly weakened by dampness. A granite top is better than a wooden top, for example, because it won't get weaker if it gets wet.

I had my second floor reinforced so that I could have a 130 gallon aquarium on the second floor. Not the same issue, but a similar analysis.

Hi. The stand in the second photo is that a solid piece?  It looks to be the same type different model of a tv stand I used in the past to hold a 20 long. If it is solid wood it will do just fine. Use rubber shelf liner and cut it to hang 1/4 inch farther out than the edge of the stand so the after does not go under the mat. I first cut mine to fit exact but if I dripped to much water It got under the mat so I had to take it down and recut it farther out. Of course you may not be as messy as me 🤣

• Like 1

Furniture works and can look great, look for things that have been made out of wood designed to last many lifetimes.

Sideboards, chests of drawers and bookcases are generally made to take more weight than side tables or console tables.  

Check out legs and look for bracing under to the top and the back.  No wobble is acceptable.  and cover the top as @Guppysnail described much easier done first than after the tank is filled.   

You could do a test on the tv stand by loading it with weight and see how it goes but you could end up losing it. In the olden days TV's were a lot heavier so older TV  stands can be very robust if you can find them. 

Some manufacturers will give max load weights on their websites so worth checking to get ideas (especially if you can then find the item second hand). 

In a student house we had a tank on two Ikea Lack tables but I'd suggest checking the site before going that route. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 6:50 PM, lefty o said:

good quality sturdy furniture can work well to hold an aquarium. i would veer away from most pressed board type of stuff, even if it holds it, over time will sag, and become a potential problem over time.

My two cents, I like metal stands, not as pretty but will hold a lot of weight.

• Like 2

I've had success finding unique furniture pieces to use as aquarium stands by browsing stores like TJ Maxx, Pier 1 Imports, Gabes & similar discount stores. I have no had much luck at Goodwill, Salvation Army and similar places but I think it's just been bad luck for me. You may get lucky and find an older, well built piece from a thrift store.

• Like 1

If it's real wood, and has vertical support straight to the ground, it should be okay if it's not skinny.

I'd avoid particle or mdf boards.  If the water seeps into it somehow, it will collapse on you. 

It's been my issue that's been keeping me from adding a tank. No adequate support