Replacement Hinge for glass tops

Alec

• Administrators

I have found that mineral deposits and gunk will build up in the channel of the hinges as well as the glass. Try thoroughly cleaning the glass where the hinge slides on to. If you run the new (I am assuming plastic) hinge under hot water, the plastic will become more pliable and will also be lubricated. You can also use a hair dryer on a warm setting to soften up the plastic hinge a bit. 

@Alec; Just like @Sandra the fish rookie, I didn't know that they made replacement hinges for glass tops. When the hinge on my glass top broke about 10 years ago, I took the top off of my tank, laid both pieces on a flat surface, cleaned the tops of both pieces with rubbing alcohol, laid a strip of black duct tape from the broken edge of the hinge out onto the glass making sure that I pressed in the contour of the hinge to the glass, I did both sides like this. Then I aligned both sides to their correct configuration as if the hinge hadn't broken and then I put a strip of duct tape down the middle. The result is that I have a glass top that works like new and water hasn't loosened the tape, and each time I have bought a glass top for a new tank, I put duct tape on the hinge before I add the top to a new tank. If the hinge on the new tops have since broken, I don't know it. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, Zenzo said:

I have found that mineral deposits and gunk will build up in the channel of the hinges as well as the glass. Try thoroughly cleaning the glass where the hinge slides on to. If you run the new (I am assuming plastic) hinge under hot water, the plastic will become more pliable and will also be lubricated. You can also use a hair dryer on a warm setting to soften up the plastic hinge a bit.

to add to this.

• Like 1