Is my Dwarf Aquarium Lily Flowering?

On 10/25/2021 at 6:01 PM, cletusthefetus4 said:

I’m sorry to hear that. I had bad luck with three that never sprouted leaves, like they were duds. But I took another chance….maybe you could too. 😀

All of mine grow gigantic; they just never flower; i'm not sure what you are suggesting? Should i rip out all the ones i ahve and try new ones ?

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 6:18 PM, anewbie said:

All of mine grow gigantic; they just never flower; i'm not sure what you are suggesting? Should i rip out all the ones i ahve and try new ones ?

Probably need more light to trigger flowering, would be my guess.  Mine throw surface pads about 8” across but I don’t have super strong lights and they haven’t flowered.  I did get a runner from mine recently.  I might have to pot up one of my small ones next spring and try it in my little outdoor pond over the summer.  I expect it might need a couple years to get to flowering size.

766563BA-5F4B-4FD5-9AAC-998505A4F6C6.jpeg

1EB11C96-A951-45FF-B0F9-52B970B59E48.jpeg

• Love 2

It's great that your Lotus is flowering, really cool. Let us know if it also develops seeds.

I finally convinced the manager of one the two LFS's around here to order Lotuses. I just happened to be there when they arrived and were unboxed so I bought two of them before they could be placed in one of their tanks and become infested with snails.

I placed one in a 10 G tank and one in a 29 G tank. The next day I took a good look at first the one in the 10 G tank and I noticed that there are 5 runners going in all directions from the bulb and they all had roots at a node on the runner. I'm thinking that I can cut those runners and plant the roots in the substrate, I'm thinking that it may grow a new bulb at the node where the roots are.

The one I placed in the 29 G had a leaf that was already starting for the surface, now it has another one, 

I have a book titled "Aquarium Plants Manuel" that says if you want your Lotus to flower, allow three to five leaves to reach the surface and stay there. This book also says that a Lotus will have compact growth with good light, so strong lighting may not be all that important.

You should be able to find this book at your LFS.

• Like 5

Oh yay!! My dwarf aquarium lily sent up several flowers this summer (I had it outside in a tub) but I never got seeds. I wonder if the surface leaves are the secret like @Gator said. Mine almost covered the tub with its leaves. I just bought it this summer as well. So it doesn’t take long if they have conditions they like! I had a thin layer of soil on the bottom of the tub, so maybe that helped.

Great pictures of the bud with your little fishies. 😊

• Love 1

A little taller today. 

I have kept about 3-4 pads at the top at all times. Been pruning when the tank gets noticeably dimmer. Heavy amounts of root tabs and I triple the dose of Easy green. That’s what my plants seem to eat up within a week and a half.  I wouldn’t recommend just tripling the dose for everyone. As far as equipment I have a Fluval 3.0 and aquarium coop medium sponge filter. I have kept the temp between 76-80*F. I have super Hard water. And high Ph about 7.6

I have include my 3.0 settings in a picture. Hopefully this can be of some reference would love for more peeps to be able to flower there Lilly’s. Hopefully the flower will open 😬106843C1-9BBC-4385-9D55-334FB1BFB348.png.5f0e97102c2804b15d078648ba6bfdbf.png

image.jpg

On 10/26/2021 at 1:20 AM, Hobbit said:

Oh yay!! My dwarf aquarium lily sent up several flowers this summer (I had it outside in a tub) but I never got seeds. I wonder if the surface leaves are the secret like @Gator said. Mine almost covered the tub with its leaves. I just bought it this summer as well. So it doesn’t take long if they have conditions they like! I had a thin layer of soil on the bottom of the tub, so maybe that helped.

Great pictures of the bud with your little fishies. 😊

Thanks I call the gold one Golden lol. How tall did the buds get out of the water if I might ask?  

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:25 PM, Gator said:

It's great that your Lotus is flowering, really cool. Let us know if it also develops seeds.

I finally convinced the manager of one the two LFS's around here to order Lotuses. I just happened to be there when they arrived and were unboxed so I bought two of them before they could be placed in one of their tanks and become infested with snails.

I placed one in a 10 G tank and one in a 29 G tank. The next day I took a good look at first the one in the 10 G tank and I noticed that there are 5 runners going in all directions from the bulb and they all had roots at a node on the runner. I'm thinking that I can cut those runners and plant the roots in the substrate, I'm thinking that it may grow a new bulb at the node where the roots are.

The one I placed in the 29 G had a leaf that was already starting for the surface, now it has another one, 

I have a book titled "Aquarium Plants Manuel" that says if you want your Lotus to flower, allow three to five leaves to reach the surface and stay there. This book also says that a Lotus will have compact growth with good light, so strong lighting may not be all that important.

You should be able to find this book at your LFS.

Very helpful thank you. I don’t have any aquarium books but am interested in them. 

Update! I contemplated hanging my light over the tank so the bud could keep growing in the right direction after @Hobbit mentioned this. Today it has grown passed the light. Maybe it’s about ready and has ignored the light to bloom. Not sure what’s gonna happen. Any thoughts…should I leave it be, or hang my light above the tank? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Love 4

Ooo exciting! I’m really not sure about the light. It may be fine to flower without it, or it may refuse to flower at all. My lily flower would only open in the morning, or stay open all day on cloudy days, so there may be such thing as too much light as well! I say decide on a course and just see what happens. You can always change course after a few days if things aren’t looking how you want.

Do keep in mind that in terms of finding the light, plants only have two levers. The first is “bend,” and the second is “up.” If they can’t find the light, they just keep pounding those levers until they find it. “More bend! More up!” There’s a certain amount of “up” programmed into the plant as well, which means it’s likely to grow past low lights regardless of whether it’s best for the plant. So just because your bud has grown past the light, doesn’t mean it’s not still looking. 

• Love 1

On 10/30/2021 at 8:39 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I've been following this in the background for days.  I'm very happy you ended up succeeding in getting this plant to bloom.  Congrats @cletusthefetus4!  That's a happy lily.  Is it fragrant? 

I’m glad you found it interesting and exciting as well! It is fragrant and smells similar to most flowers. 

14928E03-0828-4532-BFF4-DAA1CD7AC1C3.jpeg

8B485F28-D2B2-4B21-B451-0D339175DBC3.jpeg

90767345-3FD9-430D-9755-B585DEC434E8.jpeg

• Love 5

On 10/28/2021 at 5:36 PM, cletusthefetus4 said:

Update! I contemplated hanging my light over the tank so the bud could keep growing in the right direction after @Hobbit mentioned this. Today it has grown passed the light. Maybe it’s about ready and has ignored the light to bloom. Not sure what’s gonna happen. Any thoughts…should I leave it be, or hang my light above the tank? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The close up image reminds me of The little shop of horrors; as to mine not flowering; i think it has to do with species. I have dwarf lily (Nymphaea stellata); while i think you have a lotus of some sort.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:28 PM, anewbie said:

The close up image reminds me of The little shop of horrors; as to mine not flowering; i think it has to do with species. I have dwarf lily (Nymphaea stellata); while i think you have a lotus of some sort.

I was getting lotus vibes from the flower for sure. I too have Nymphaea Stellata it goes by a lot of different common names some including the word Lotus. I got it from aquarium coop. I forgot to mention I use easy iron. I’d say making the plant extremely happy is the biggest goal. 

On 10/30/2021 at 11:28 AM, anewbie said:

lotus

On 10/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, cletusthefetus4 said:

lotus vibes

A quick botanical aside.  The term "lotus" is a bit ambiguous.  Much scholarship effort has been devoted to trying to figure out what the original "lotus" may have been in the island of the lotus eaters in The Odyssey.  One species of fruit has even been named for it, the "date-plumb" Diospyros lotus.  There is also a genus (group of related species) in the pea family called Lotus

But the confusing part for people growing aquatic plants is that there is a water lily, Nymphaea lotus, which is sometimes frown in ponds and sometimes in aquaria.  But there is also the "lotus" flower, Nelumbo, that is grown in ponds and some dwarf versions are now suited as emergents for aquariums as well.  Just a point that can cause confusion, so I thought I'd ramble here on it for a bit.

I now return you to your regular discussion of this cool flower! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2