What snails are these?

lmhicks101

@lmhicks101I mean they are considered "pest snails" I have ramshorn snails which are also "pest" ones. If you don't mind the way they look they can be a great clean up crew for your tank. I keep my ramshorns because they are great at eating algae dying plant matter and leftover fish food. It's a personal decision but I would keep them. 

Edited by Dwayne Brown

These are bladder snails. Thin antenna and spire pointed to the left distinguish them from the pond snails @GameCzar(wrong tag)picture. They are excellent gardeners and only reproduce to available food source. They do not eat plants unless the plant leaf is already beginning to die they will eat the dying leaf allowing your plant to focus on healthy growth. If you over feed constantly they will become extremely prolific unless kept well vacuumed substrate 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like bladder snails to me. Some hate "pest snails" but they are doing a fine job of tackling algae for me in newish tanks. They look like little lawnmowers working over the thread algae on my moss balls! I crush the really tiny ones (less than 1mm) for my shrimp in their tank. I started with one or two in a single plant back in August and now I have countless numbers of them. They are great food for dwarf puffers 😉 and I find myself wondering how many live snails at a given size one would need to support one....

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 10:16 PM, BF McUmber said:

My bladder snails are doing such a good job of keeping my air line tubing and other little parts clean.  They are great so far.  I do have to remove quite a few egg sacks out every week because they are on a breeding mission. 

they are funny little things. I was drip acclimating some fish last week and came to check in - found a little one had gone through about 2' of air line and dropped my drip rate quite a bit 😆 I did think that some of my fish or shrimp would eat the eggs, but no takers.

• Haha 2

On 10/16/2021 at 11:01 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

they are funny little things. I was drip acclimating some fish last week and came to check in - found a little one had gone through about 2' of air line and dropped my drip rate quite a bit 😆 I did think that some of my fish or shrimp would eat the eggs, but no takers.

I assumed the eggs would be more edible as well. 😞

On 10/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

I did think that some of my fish or shrimp would eat the eggs, but no takers.

I am pretty sure my angel eats baby snails. I drop big pond and bladder snails into his tank, and they lay huge clutches everywhere. I watch the eggs developing  and hatching, but no baby snails survive. The tank is an algae farm, the adult snails are fine, but no babies. I don't know whether it's common for angelfish, as I only have a single one, but mine is (unfortunately) a very effective snail exterminator. 

• Like 1