Where to buy Neocaridina shrimp online, or in Seattle area.

Dwayne Brown

Hi I am wondering where is the best place to buy Neocaridina shrimp. I live in the seattle area so there is a huge selection but some of the more "exotic" colors I can't seem to find. Is there a reputable online platform that sells them? or maybe a store in the Seattle area? And if I was to roder them online, do they handle shipping well? Thanks

Maybe check with Robert and see if they can special order what you’re looking for or point you in the right direction. 
You could also try posting on the GSAS Facebook page but they’re fairly strict about any post regarding livestock. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dwayne Brownaquabid is great for shrimps as if you get the right seller they’re young and healthy which usually leads to a better adjustment to your tank. Also sometimes you end up with a larger number to start and cheaper than a LFS. LR Bretz (aka LRB) sells shrimp online I’ve had good success with his shrimps (his water is fairly hard) and some of his lines have won some serious awards. Obviously buying from the Coop and Robert is a great choice. Unfortunately you can’t buy from Aquahuna online. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:07 PM, binkysmom said:

do you have any local FB groups? I'm lucky in that there are lots of local shrimp breeders near me with a ton of variety. But I'm amazed at some of the strains local people have!

Yes there are quite a few, after doing some digging I found a local shop that has just about every type and variety of freshwater shrimp available. I will check out facebook though. 

Let us know how the local shop goes! I used to know someone in the Bellingham area who sold black hong kongs and lemons, which isn't terribly useful information but maybe you could track him down on aquabid.

Edit: realized you are looking for neocardinia making my post even less useful.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Thanks 1

@Biotope Biologist After posting a different thread asking about the differences between the two, I am leaning towards the caradina shrimp... They are somewhat harder to care for then the neocaradinia. But their water parameters match up with my Western washington water, and from what I have read because of that they are a little more easy to care for here. So I will definitely try to find this guy and see if he still sells. 

Oh yes I am following that thread too so perhaps where my confusion came from 😋 

While I've been on the lookout for brackish fish to put in my mangrove tank, I have not seen shrimp period at most stores I have gone to. I just see the usual red cherry shrimp, I wonder if they have fallen out of favor in the aquascaping world. I know the black hong kongs used to fetch hefty price tags. But all I see now are livebearers, granted they are some gorgeous morphs.

• Thanks 1