Tiger Otocinclus (Oto) anyone??

xXInkedPhoenixX

I did a search of the forum and didn't come up with a specific thread. Yesterday at my LFS they had some beautiful (and very LARGE) Tiger Otos. Anyone have them? Being a total Oto freak fan it would be so neat to keep them, but at $20 a pop I'm hesitant. I don't have an "established" QT tank though I have two very viable potential home tanks for them. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 7:20 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I did a search of the forum and didn't come up with a specific thread. Yesterday at my LFS they had some beautiful (and very LARGE) Tiger Otos. Anyone have them? Being a total Oto freak fan it would be so neat to keep them, but at $20 a pop I'm hesitant. I don't have an "established" QT tank though I have two very viable potential home tanks for them. 

Wow! If really Otocinclus cocama, then I suggest you go buy a bunch right now! That’s an endangered fish. Better in your care than the tank of a noob.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 4:14 PM, Fish Folk said:

Wow! If really Otocinclus cocama, then I suggest you go buy a bunch right now! That’s an endangered fish. Better in your care than the tank of a noob.

Given their price point my guess is like dwarf loaches those are tank bred and not wild caught.

• Like 1

@Fish Folk will have to give me breeding tips....though last time I had Otos breed I wasn't trying....

Let's not get too far ahead and make sure they come out of QT first. You all will have to help me with which tank they go in when that's done cause there's 2 they could- well 3 but I've already kinda ruled one out. 

@Beardedbillygoat1975 They are pretty much a LOT like their little cousins the Vittatus- only 2x their size so you can see every little expression all the better. They swim just like them too which is one of the charming things about Otos, they are kind of awkward swimmers. They've got beautiful markings. When their fins are up and out they are just stunning fish.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 10/13/2021 at 6:59 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Curses. You are all enablers. I went to bed thinking about it. Then I made a plan. Then said, well I'll go and if they're there I'll get them and if they're not oh well. They were there. I bought them out. Six. They're HUGE to me being 1.75" each. 

Resized_20211013_155330.jpg

Resized_20211013_155337.jpg

Resized_20211013_155345.jpg

Resized_20211013_155350.jpg

Awesome!!! 

• 5 weeks later...