QT Regimen??

Kellbell711

It really depends on the fish and the symptoms. In general i quarantine 3 weeks and treat with a small salt dose (1 tablespoon per 3 gallons) and dose with PraziPro twice. This is assuming no symptoms. If they did start showing symptoms i would either increase the salt dose or treating with a med, depending on the fish and the symptoms.

I agree with Scapexghost I use salt only unless I see signs of something else but I recently purchased Red Eye Puffers and per suggestions I used API General Cure to kill internal parasites.  What are the symptoms of your fish and type of fish?  Are they staying sunken in or just not very active? 

I use nothing unless needed or if they are guppies(guppies always seem to need it so I just do it in advance) In those cases I do the standard coop trio treatment figuring if they have something the immune system is stressed already so treat all at once. If I notice specific symptoms ie parasites ich etc then I treat full course as per package instructions parasites I do 1week on 1 week off 3x to ensure I’ve gotten the eggs that had not yet hatched. 

On 10/7/2021 at 8:25 AM, Kellbell711 said:

What do you guys use as your go to quarantine regimen? Ordered quite a few fish from a breeder that I cannot seem to get better. I know some are against any medications but in these type cases what do you recommend doing from the jump??

Depends on the type of fish, and what I see going on.

Symptoms + type of fish + severity of symptoms = determine best path forward 

1 day of the med trio: Ich-X, Maracyn, ParaCleanse. Let it marinate for a week. This, is if all fish come to you looking healthy. Much different if you observe something they're going through at that time - then you follow the box directions.

If all goes well after that, I leave in QT one more week, and then to the display. 

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 12:39 PM, Jeff said:

1 day of the med trio: Ich-X, Maracyn, ParaCleanse. Let it marinate for a week. This, is if all fish come to you looking healthy. Much different if you observe something they're going through at that time - then you follow the box directions.

If all goes well after that, I leave in QT one more week, and then to the display. 

I do the same 90% of the time. I used to do it 100% of the time but for lack of a better term I’ve gotten lazy. One of these days it’s going to bite me and I’ll be on here complaining about all of the meds I had to buy and fish I’ve lost. I’m not saying that it will happen to anyone else but it’s a guarantee that it’ll happen to me…. one day….

I keep my new fish in quarantine for about a month to accommodate 2 rounds of anti-parasite meds. I do not treat with maracyn or other antibiotics unless I see signs of a bacterial infection. If all is well after the rounds of parasite meds, they head on over to the display.