Purigen bags?

JoshStover

What micron bags would you recommend for purigen in my AquaClears? The last 2 batches I’ve got has leaked TONS of the white beds all over my beautiful black substrate even after throughly prerinsing 3-4 times. Thanks NERMs!

Snail Assassin photo just for kicks. 

FD182E9B-6144-4C92-917F-45E5A3E4B363.jpeg

• Like 1

I thought that I recharged Purigen properly, following the posted instructions, but I must have messed up, and it was tragic.

I tried to use it to remove tannins, before I understood and appreciated them.

Would filter floss work for your needs? It is nice and boring.

I had this same issue the one and only time I tried. I rinsed that puppy to death I seen no particles…until I put it in my aquaclear then it was so bad like snowstorm bad. I feared for my fish and did repeated large water changes. There was a topic on here awhile back where some said what was purchased on amazon does this and what was purchased big box does not. I’m not 109% but it may have been @laritheloud (sorry if it was not you)

On 10/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

I had this same issue the one and only time I tried. I rinsed that puppy to death I seen no particles…until I put it in my aquaclear then it was so bad like snowstorm bad. I feared for my fish and did repeated large water changes. There was a topic on here awhile back where some said what was purchased on amazon does this and what was purchased big box does not. I’m not 109% but it may have been @laritheloud (sorry if it was not you)

I have heard this as well, but whenever I bought purigen I had snow everywhere no matter what I did! I don't use Purigen ever now. I'll use Carbon occasionally if I want to clear meds.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 6:31 PM, Streetwise said:

Are Purigen units microplastics?

It would appear so:

"Seachem Purigen is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all other competing products by over 500%. Seachem Purigen controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds."

[from website]