Can they live together?

Chiclid addict

I have a unknown type of chiclid it has shown no agreson towards other fish and I have a 55gallon tank with 1 discus, 1 angelfish, 1 pleco and a rope fish I have a random chiclid someone gave me a while ago and general consensus was he was a peacock chiclid  I would like to add him to the tank started above I think he should be fine he hasn’t shown any aggression toward anything in the past.

On 10/2/2021 at 11:31 PM, Chiclid addict said:

I have a unknown type of chiclid it has shown no agreson towards other fish and I have a 55gallon tank with 1 discus, 1 angelfish, 1 pleco and a rope fish I have a random chiclid someone gave me a while ago and general consensus was he was a peacock chiclid  I would like to add him to the tank started above I think he should be fine he hasn’t shown any aggression toward anything in the past.

If you can closely monitor and you want it in there sure go for it. A lot of things will work under right circumstances. But have a back up plan. Just know the discus and angel are SA cichlids and peacocks are AC generally do better in different set ups. And with cichlids that passive fish could be timid and seem to be hiding keeping to himself, then next thing you know he has the rest of the tank pined up in the corner and all stressed out, or worse!

You never know until you try. Cichlids are smart fish with personalities. Some personalities get along, some clash. Fish like a Midas cichlid that stake out a territory and guard it from all comers tend to be a problem to keep with anything else unless you have an enormous tank. But even then you'll find an exception or two who gets along with everyone in a smaller tank. You just never know.

The first problem you are going to run into is that the fishes you mentioned are not really temp. compatible. The discus likes  it much warmer than most cichlid. The angels can tolerate high temp and in the wild some live in an area not much cooler than the discus but most tank raised angels are used to cooler temp. The rope fish is going to be unhappy if the tank's temp is 84-86; which it should be for the discus. A peacock like wise would prefer cooler temps. Last but least as they age they might (or might not) get along.

How old is the unknown cichlid? And how old are the other fish in the tank. Some aggressive cichlids start off perfectly fine when they are young but turn more aggressive as they mature. Also could you post a photo of the unidentified cichlid that way we can all help you identify it. 

On 10/3/2021 at 6:19 AM, anewbie said:

The first problem you are going to run into is that the fishes you mentioned are not really temp. compatible. The discus likes  it much warmer than most cichlid. The angels can tolerate high temp and in the wild some live in an area not much cooler than the discus but most tank raised angels are used to cooler temp. The rope fish is going to be unhappy if the tank's temp is 84-86; which it should be for the discus. A peacock like wise would prefer cooler temps. Last but least as they age they might (or might not) get along.

All of them except the peacock have been living together for over 3 years and I’ve never had any issues and they all seem to be happy and healthy 

On 10/3/2021 at 8:09 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

How old is the unknown cichlid? And how old are the other fish in the tank. Some aggressive cichlids start off perfectly fine when they are young but turn more aggressive as they mature. Also could you post a photo of the unidentified cichlid that way we can all help you identify it. 

I’m not sure I’ve had it for about a year it was and adult when I got it as for the other fish the angel is about 6 and everything else is about. 3. I will get a picture of the unknown chiclid tank when I get a chance he’s hiding right now lol

On 10/3/2021 at 12:57 AM, Brandon p said:

Can you send a pic of the chiclid. It may help us to get a better idea idea some are no go and others aren’t bad

I will when he comes out he’s hiding right now lol

I’m think thank the two most likely are one of the African cichlids Haplochromides that are sometimes called peacock. Or it’s a peacock bass( way less likely but when small look like a regular aquarium fish. Until there’s a pic no way to tell but I’m leaning to no but there are so many different common names

On 10/3/2021 at 12:57 AM, Brandon p said:

Can you send a pic of the chiclid. It may help us to get a better idea idea some are no go and others aren’t bad

On 10/3/2021 at 6:19 AM, anewbie said:

Here’s the best pictures I can get I believe after further investigation it is a cobalt zebra chiclid 

image.jpg

image.jpg

E64D2415-1F14-41CF-A377-67C388CE3B4E.jpeg

Edited by Chiclid addict

On 10/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, Atitagain said:

Looks like a Moorii to me an African cichlid from lake Malawi also know as a blue dolphin.

I really think it’s a cobalt blue zebra see last picture 

The pictures I took don’t look that good But in real life he looks exactly like that

Edited by Chiclid addict
  • Love 1

On 10/3/2021 at 11:23 PM, Chiclid addict said:

Here’s the best pictures I can get I believe after further investigation it is a cobalt zebra chiclid 

image.jpg

image.jpg

It’s an African Cichlid. This fish and the discus and angelfish need totally different water. Discus and angelfish like similar water soft 6.6. The African cichlid like higher hairdressers water. 7.5.-7.8 I would not keep these together. Once he Settles in he will likely kill the discus and angelfish and rope fish over time. Probably by constantly pestering them. The African Cichlidneed temps around 76-79. So no they should not go together. I would love to show you mine but the light out at this time  maybe tomorrow 

On 10/3/2021 at 11:44 PM, Atitagain said:

I thought zebra at fist but the forehead looks more like moorii to me

The zebra more straight lined moorii humped forehead.  Hard to tell for sure tho

On 10/3/2021 at 11:46 PM, Chiclid addict said:

He has very faint stripes 

I’d put my money on moorii 

Edited by Atitagain
  • Like 1

It’s a zebra it’s still a young fish but it still called a zebra fish so strips make sense  Here the other thing most African cichlids can interbreed and you can get fish that look 100% one be it might be 75% and show most of it but still have a few single gene trait.  At this point we should understand that these fish should not go to together. This fish can reach to at most 6 inchs

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 2

No matter what it’s for sure IMO an African cichlid from lake Malawi and in standards as far as temps, PH, and hardness they shouldn’t be kept together. More than likely water parameters or one or the other will pester the other to high stress or even kill. BUT you never know stranger pairings have worked out without problems. I would advise not to try this pairing tho.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:56 PM, Brandon p said:

It’s a zebra it’s still a young fish but it still called a zebra fish so strips make sense  Here the other thing most African cichlids can interbreed and you can get fish that look 100% one be it might be 75% and show most of it but still have a few single gene trait.  At this point we should understand that these fish should not go to together. This fish can reach to at most 6 inchs

Agreed 

• Like 1

I would not keep these fish together because of their  water chemistry non compatibility. However You could keep the African cichlid in a separate aquarium with its own different water parameters. Sense it is an African cichlid if you were going to go with making its s own aquarium, be sure to do some research on what water chemistry they can handle. I know they need super hard water and rocks capes but my knowledge of them ends there. I personally never do hard water fish because the water that comes out of my tap is so soft I have to add crushed coral just to keep tetras😆

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 7:18 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

I would not keep these fish together because of their  water chemistry non compatibility. However You could keep the African cichlid in a separate aquarium with its own different water parameters. Sense it is an African cichlid if you were going to go with making its s own aquarium, be sure to do some research on what water chemistry they can handle. I know they need super hard water and rocks capes but my knowledge of them ends there. I personally never do hard water fish because the water that comes out of my tap is so soft I have to add crushed coral just to keep tetras😆

Lucky for me African child’s is pretty much all I do besides my discus and axolotl lol he is already in a nice planted tank with al group of African chiclids the only reason I asked is because he complements the discus colors very well.

• Like 1