plants and cycling

Jennibird

I'm trying to cycle a new tank. Levels are ... Ammonia- 3-4ppm, Nitrites- 0, Nitrates- .25-.50, Ph- 6.8-7.0
My question is ... is it safe to put plants in now? Or should I wait until fully cycled? (plants- Anubias nana "petite", Cryptocoryne Lucens, Cryptocoryne Tropica, Dwarf Hairgrass, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green, Mini Bolbitis (Baby Leaf), Christmas Moss)
Thank you 

😊

On 9/25/2021 at 10:20 PM, Jennifer said:

I'm trying to cycle a new tank. Levels are ... Ammonia- 3-4ppm, Nitrites- 0, Nitrates- .25-.50, Ph- 6.8-7.0
My question is ... is it safe to put plants in now? Or should I wait until fully cycled? (plants- Anubias nana "petite", Cryptocoryne Lucens, Cryptocoryne Tropica, Dwarf Hairgrass, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green, Mini Bolbitis (Baby Leaf), Christmas Moss)
Thank you 

😊

I tend to put lots of plants in right from the beginning, knowing that some plants will likely melt to some degree or another.  The plants tend to moderate the extreme levels that can develop as the beneficial bacteria colonies are developing.  Now that you already have high levels, you are higher risk for having plants melt, especially crypts (I don’t know about the Dwarf Hairgrass since I’ve never grown, or even checked into that).  The other plants on your list don’t tend to be quite as sensitive to water parameters changing.

Since you’re already mid cycle, you might consider waiting just a bit before adding the Crypts until the levels are a little more controlled.  You would probably get away with adding the others.  Maybe someone will chime in with their experience on the Dwarf Hairgrass.  Then once your numbers start to come down a bit, add Crypts and your cycle will likely settle even faster as you get more plants in place.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 9:20 PM, Jennifer said:

Thank you 

😊

The crypts will melt, they are sensitive little creatures. 

Walstad method has people start the tank out as heavily planted as one can afford.... which means my tanks start out kind of sparsely planted🤣

With ammonia that high, you want some plants that feed from the water column. If you are planning on having any kind of floating plants, right now is the perfect time to add them.

If you already own the Anubias and the dwarf hairgrass, you can try putting a small amount in (not your entire stock) and test them out.

I have had dwarf hair grass take off and send out massive amounts of runners as the dirt let off a lot of ammonia, and I have also had dwarf hair grass stick out it's tongue at me when setting up a new tank, play dead, and then surprise me 2 months later when runners I didn't know existed suddenly erupt in new dwarf hair grass. 

While the majority of aquarium success is determined by our patience, a large chunk of our actual learning comes from trying things out, documenting what we do.... and then waiting to see what actually happens versus the theoretical 🤷‍♂️

The only thing that is absolutely guaranteed, no matter what the parameters or who is keeping the fish is....

💦Water is wet💦

There are too many other variables to account for to know absolutely, 100% how something will turn out. 

I do know that ammonia is easier for most plants to use for food, than nitrates. That's why the Osmocote is **loved** by plants, it's much easier to "eat".... but it can kill our fish if it gets loose from the substrate. 

I know, I am clear as mud.

At least I am honest mud🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1