Using burlap in aquarium?

Atitagain

Has anyone used burlap in their tank? Doing a project and this would work perfectly if it’s safe. Everything I can find says it would be fine but there’s not much info on the topic. The burlap I have is made of jute, again not much info on using it in aquariums. But it is a natural plant and jute twine is used in some food applications (sausage ties for one) 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:35 AM, Manny said:

Personally, I think you’d be ok, however if possible, I’d set up a smaller tank with some burlap in it so you can run water tests to know for sure. 

Good idea definitely should do that, wish I had enough patience to think like this. Get so focused on getting done. Will do, even let stand for a couple days. Just gotta convince myself it don’t have to be done today. 😬

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 11:27 AM, eatyourpeas said:

My concern would be the sizing they add to the fiber to keep it flat. Try giving it a good run in a washing machine with very hot water before adding to the experimental tank.

Didn’t even know that was a thing,I know no detergents . Thank you

glad I posted was just gonna run with it but I didn’t know anything about burlap and there was hardly any info to be found 

On 9/22/2021 at 8:45 AM, Atitagain said:

Didn’t even know that was a thing,I know no detergents . Thank you

glad I posted was just gonna run with it but I didn’t know anything about burlap and there was hardly any info to be found 

Most fabrics have some kind of sizing. Do not be horrified if it comes out a wrinkle mess. Burlap is sold for crafts, so it "needs" to look tidy and proper.

Oh, and it will shed!

Edited by eatyourpeas

On 9/22/2021 at 11:43 AM, Tihshho said:

Burlap leaks a lot of tannins, and not sure if these are good tannins for the aquaria. The other thing about it is that wet burlap does break down overtime. 

The plan is to take plant pot bottom (plastic) place dirt substrate and wrap with burlap then bury under gravel. So maybe the breakdown is not a real concern (maybe a lil mess) but bad tannins obviously would be.

orginal plan was using plastic canvas, was just being a pain to work with and every design was bigger than wanted and left to much dead space . Probably just go back to this, to many unknowns with burlap, especially long term 7 months might be a disaster 🤔

I’ve encountered some burlap that might have been treated with turps or some similar smelling voc. Maybe it’s just a natural part of raw jute, but you can’t miss it. It looks and feels dry but has a strong smell. 
I’m currently using jute mat (like they sell for hanging flower baskets) for growing out my Wabi Kusa. It seems to be a common practice. Others use some plastic mesh, that might be worth a try. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’ve encountered some burlap that might have been treated with turps or some similar smelling voc. Maybe it’s just a natural part of raw jute, but you can’t miss it. It looks and feels dry but has a strong smell. 
I’m currently using jute mat (like they sell for hanging flower baskets) for growing out my Wabi Kusa. It seems to be a common practice. Others use some plastic mesh, that might be worth a try. 

The plastic canvas I have seems to be to rigid which makes it difficult to bend and sew together. I’m gonna think out another plan and try again. Might need to find some that’s more flexible. Or start from scratch and find different material all together.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:11 AM, Patrick_G said:

I was going to make the same comment. I assumed flame retardant or preservative of some sort.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:04 PM, Atitagain said:

This is why I finally decided to post about this , it says all natural material. But I just didn’t trust it.

I don't know if will mean anything to you, but it smells like cosmoline. I'll never forget that smell.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:24 PM, Ken said:

but it smells like cosmoline

But that's a great smell! Plus, you get something that was stored in cosmoline decades ago and you get to see it in its glory the day it comes back out. Definitely not fish safe if that's the preservative though.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 12:01 PM, Guppysnail said:

Not my idea but someone on here had success using a nylon stocking with substrate inside to plant plants. Maybe @Hobbit? I can’t remember who or find the thread. 

I remember @Tihshhosaying something about that but was in reference to using it (the dirt) as a buffer to lower PH. Would you agree if you planted through the stocking it would tear or eventually to many roots could find their way through? It might be worth checking out tho would definitely keep cost down and be moved easily if it holds up under water.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:19 PM, Tihshho said:

I might have mentioned it in terms of using it with peat for dropping pH and adding tannins. I wouldn't use them for soil IMO as I'm not sure they would hold up long term, especially post decent root growth.

I couldn’t remember exactly what it was, and that’s kinda what I was thinking about long term root growth.