Collecting Cory eggs questions?

Atitagain

Just moved my peppered corys to a different tank, and their spreading eggs all over the place. In the old tank I never saw them, ever. I always figured my platys we’re eating them or just wrong conditions. Well the platys moved with them and tank conditions are very similar. Obviously not exact different plants and it’s about 4-6 months more seasoned. #STT questions are why the sudden explosion of eggs? Seems I only find white ones very few that are more clear, am I not finding them fast enough? Or are they coming out infertile? And lastly everyone says just roll them on your finger or easily scrape them off the glass, all these are hard and I’m unable to scrape them without major damage, again am I just finding them to late?

The abrupt change in tanks, and more than likely temperature or barometric pressure (do you have a storm front coming in) triggered the spawning. White eggs are either infertile or caught post fungus, the females could be scattering eggs without a male spawning with them as well, so if you see constant patches of infertile eggs that's more than likely the culprit. 

If you're not able to roll them off or lightly remove them with a new and sharp razorblade (this takes practice to not slice eggs) then these might not be Cory eggs. They should be easy to roll off with your fingers or with a clean and fine scraping tool. 

@Tihshho I think I figured it out, after posting I came to look again and to try and collect again. I found some that were not so white and went after them. They felt like an egg had been there and now is not. As I’m scratching my head I see a huge nerite snail. I thought for sure I didn’t have any in this tank (I had thought of this as a possibility before posting) wrong. Has to be it right they are usually hard and difficult to remove. 

On 9/20/2021 at 8:58 AM, Guppysnail said:

Just a helpful suggestion I use these to remove Cory eggs so I don’t damage….I actually buy them and use instead of turkey baster but works for this

C2576B1D-8374-4817-B183-1B54D411FE75.png

I have started an photo album of all the aquarium products I’ve heard about on here and need/ want to get. 5 of the 11 are from you! Keep them coming !!!34F51CE6-364F-41A6-B9E6-42E3A2ABA1FA.png.2e03508329db2cd8b919274a7a9c3444.pngThank you

Edited by Atitagain
  • Love 1

My Cory's have always shown breeding behaviors and then spawned after moving into a new tank. I've seen it when the new tank was slightly colder than the previous but also slightly warmer. Something about mild but sudden change seems to get them worked up. 

As for moving the eggs, I'm partial to rolling them off the glass onto my fingers. Little risk of puncturing or tearing the egg

On 9/20/2021 at 11:03 AM, Atitagain said:

I have started an photo album of all the aquarium products I’ve heard about on here and need/ want to get. 5 of the 11 are from you! Keep them coming !!!34F51CE6-364F-41A6-B9E6-42E3A2ABA1FA.png.2e03508329db2cd8b919274a7a9c3444.pngThank you

@Guppysnailis the bees knees when it comes to great ideas!  Thats why I stalk...uh i mean follow all of her posts:classic_ninja:

• Haha 3