Mystery of the disappearing shrimp

Patrick_G

A couple of weeks ago I bought about 25 small red Neos from a local breeder. I acclimated them and put them in this tank along with five older Neos. Today I checked and I can only find the original five. I’m not sure what happened but my single Kuhli Loach is looking really fat. 
Any ideas? 

C0BEF35F-C434-4A1D-81CA-7028A50BA7D9.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I 've had better experiences with shrimp on the barbie than in the aquarium.  The three Amanos. I bought in the spring disappeared for two weeks.  One was never seen again.  I never thought I would get excited over a shrimp sighting.

I don't want to hijack the thread here, but I do have shrimp questions.

The Amanos were supposed to be part of the cleanup crew.  Were they the best choice for a first time shrimp keeper?

Was $7.50 each too much, or about right?

On 9/12/2021 at 11:52 AM, Tanked said:

I 've had better experiences with shrimp on the barbie than in the aquarium.  The three Amanos. I bought in the spring disappeared for two weeks.  One was never seen again.  I never thought I would get excited over a shrimp sighting.

I don't want to hijack the thread here, but I do have shrimp questions.

The Amanos were supposed to be part of the cleanup crew.  Were they the best choice for a first time shrimp keeper?

Was $7.50 each too much, or about right?

Amanos are known for bailing from tanks if the water parameters are not what they want, or if you inject CO2 or use Seachem Excel too much then they just up and climb out of the tank up a CO2 line or heater cable. If you have pets, doubt you'd see the bodies.

Amano's are pretty resilient and easy as long as they are going into an established tank, so I'd say they are fairly beginner friendly. 

Can't speak on price as everyone has different prices, and prices fluctuate with everything going on. Check your other LFS's to compare prices for your local market. 

• Like 1

Amanos  are my favorite clean up crew. When I’ve bought them from a LFS they’re about $7. From a local breeder they were like $3. Get jumbos if you can. They’re easier to see and don’t become prey to larger fish. Mine are out front doing all kinds of crazy antics. I think they’re facilitating even when they’re stealing food wafers from the Corydoras! 

Based on a video from my favorite ShrimpTuber, caridina and neocaridina can and do crawl out of their tanks to their deaths. The water surface and rim of the tank need to be about 2 body-lengths away from each other, or a tight lid needs to be all the way around the tank. On the examples he showed, the shrimp had gotten through the narrow slit between the rim and lid.

@Tanked Amanos can be spendy depending on the source. Last time I looked Aqua Huna has good prices on them. They are escape artists so  lid is a good idea. I didn't have mine more than a couple week and half of them disappeared. Found out later some had climbed out and ended up on floor behind the tank. The others I found when cleaning the HOB filter. Nothing like having what at first glance looks like a grey 2 inch spider run across your hand lol.

@Patrick_G I agree the loach is probably stressing them out so they are in hiding.  I was watching one of Lucas Bretz's youtube videos and he mentioned once he had a tank that he was going to tear down and he found a whole colony of shrimp under a log or some rocks, almost like an ant farm. I couldn't find the video, (he has a lot) or I would have linked it.

Edited by Griznatch
edit for spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've found no evidence that mine bailed. They used to hang out on the back of the HOB. I don't know if I still have 1, 2, or none. I found either a molt, or a carcass last week so anything is possible.  There is a possibility that my project tank will become permanent,  and I was thinking about keeping shrimp there instead.

• 2 weeks later...