Infertile tetra

Atitagain

Doing research on rummynose tetra to try and breed, came across an article (may have been a video, looked and watched so many past couple days) that stated if they live in high PH and high hardness it could make them infertile. I know they come from soft water and I’ll need to get the right conditions to have them breed but this is the first time I came across this. Does anyone know more about this? I ask because I’m already planning on raising fry in soft water, should I keep the parents in soft water if I have success with them to breed again? Would rather not run 2 soft water tanks unless its necessary?

Here’s normal conditions in almost all my tanks and the ones that are different are not close to being considered soft.E6395053-78B1-4744-99DA-78764A68D76C.jpeg.455c5cfe26fb84915a1421ae7982566f.jpeghardness=300+ Buffer=220 PH= 8.1

I am completely not an expert at this, but my 100% anecdotal experience is that my diamond tetras (which come from softer water) breed prolifically in 10 dgH 10 dkH 8.0 ph water.

If you want a higher yield than accidental occasional fry (we doubled our school over the course of 6 months accidentally), I'd follow @Fish Folk's advice and make a tannin soup.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:46 AM, ARMYVET said:

@Fish Folk I know for a fact you would cry if I showed you what I have been dumping down the drain the last few days!  I got in a bunch of new drift wood and have been boiling it to sterilize it from unwanted stuff and the water come out so full of tannins you almost cant see thru it.  

That’s good stuff for certain fish!

I've heard that the pH can affect the ability of the sperm to penetrate the egg membrane of some fish. I'm not sure if it applies to Rummynose tetras or not, but I've read that in the past. There's a sperm membrane and an egg membrane that have to be able to fuse and at certain pH ranges they can't fuse.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:30 AM, Fish Folk said:

My opinion … you really want to pursue TONS of botanicals. You want this:

07DD369F-21D2-46F2-B822-E6C3DB29E5A6.jpeg.f70713167d98b6d0b446239345cc0877.jpeg

I recommend thoroughly studying EVERYTHING you can learn here. Especially searching for precise things archived here

Thank you so much @Fish Folkthese I’m sure will help a lot. 
If I do have success or if I don’t with this spawn, I think 🤔I want to start from scratch anyway. Set up a soft water tank buy 10-12 new rummys and raise them in these type of conditions “black water”

great info as always 👍

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 9:09 AM, laritheloud said:

I am completely not an expert at this, but my 100% anecdotal experience is that my diamond tetras (which come from softer water) breed prolifically in 10 dgH 10 dkH 8.0 ph water.

If you want a higher yield than accidental occasional fry (we doubled our school over the course of 6 months accidentally), I'd follow @Fish Folk's advice and make a tannin soup.

I figured this was the case, maybe for optimal conditions, better chances of not having infertile fish, higher yields, ect… Which I’d never be able to create in my fish room. I absolutely want to have success with this project but don’t wanna waste time trying to have scientific study conditions. 

On 9/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, gardenman said:

I've heard that the pH can affect the ability of the sperm to penetrate the egg membrane of some fish. I'm not sure if it applies to Rummynose tetras or not, but I've read that in the past. There's a sperm membrane and an egg membrane that have to be able to fuse and at certain pH ranges they can't fuse.

Thanks for the help. I think the best way I can approach this for now is “let’s see what happens and give a better more educated go at it next time”

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:30 AM, Fish Folk said:

My opinion … you really want to pursue TONS of botanicals. You want this:

07DD369F-21D2-46F2-B822-E6C3DB29E5A6.jpeg.f70713167d98b6d0b446239345cc0877.jpeg

I recommend thoroughly studying EVERYTHING you can learn here. Especially searching for precise things archived here

I will be jumping down this rabbit hole for sure have read a article and looked through the stock they have. Already have plans for the 60G here I go, at it again!

Do you have any of these type of tanks? Pics?

• Love 1

On 9/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, Atitagain said:

I will be jumping down this rabbit hole for sure have read a article and looked through the stock they have. Already have plans for the 60G here I go, at it again!

Do you have any of these type of tanks? Pics?

Not really. Scott Fellman gave an inspirational talk at our fish club two years ago though.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 6:37 PM, Fish Folk said:

We added tannins with these…

C0659A26-360B-4F66-A524-FA31861FCB5E.jpeg.19b9b803c62c84d558080cd5cd92c256.jpeg

Firemouths. But not really too much…

Nice looking set up. The firemouths are a good looking fish as well. So you use tannins for water parameters and such not really dark water ?

im really liking the dark water look. Something like 495734B6-9E10-47BA-AFC4-35DD1AA2BEA4.jpeg.b5dbdaca28bbc5aba91caeeac9e5835d.jpegwith a huge school of rummynose and some other creatures as well. I don’t know will research and price it out. Maybe and by maybe I mean, I gotta talk to the wife. I think I maxed out my credit with her.🥴

• Love 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:00 PM, Atitagain said:

Nice looking set up. The firemouths are a good looking fish as well. So you use tannins for water parameters and such not really dark water ?

im really liking the dark water look. Something like 495734B6-9E10-47BA-AFC4-35DD1AA2BEA4.jpeg.b5dbdaca28bbc5aba91caeeac9e5835d.jpegwith a huge school of rummynose and some other creatures as well. I don’t know will research and price it out. Maybe and by maybe I mean, I gotta talk to the wife. I think I maxed out my credit with her.🥴

Yeah, we add tannins as a water treatment 

On 9/8/2021 at 11:11 PM, Brandon p said:

I was always told that they needed a soft water and ph under 7 closer to 6.5 with tannis?

Yes I think that’s where they need to be to spawn 6.5 even a little lower. My shoal in display tank are really healthy and look really vibrant at a PH of 8.1, I’m just thinking in long term affects to breed the healthiest fry as I can with my set up.