Pothos help

Ok so I have a small jade pothos cutting I bought for probably too much money to grow in my tank to help with filtration. 

It seems to be growing a bit strange so it's hard to work out how best to place it. Currently I have it sitting on top of my internal filter (out of the water) with the roots trailing in the water, however a small section of roots between the stem and the rest of the roots (this section of roots is above the water line) has gone all brown and shrivelled and I'm assuming the whole lot will come off at some point. 

I did an awful little sketch to show what I mean: 

IMG_20210906_064344_233.jpg.9587e4cba89b07828a629e213744bb15.jpg

The red arrow points to the dying section. Does the whole length of roots need to be underwater?

As you can see the roots are growing in a weird place between the leaf offshoots so I can't get it all in the water without submerging some of the stem and leaves. 

Is there anyway to encourage roots to grow out of the cut end of the stem? Would make it a lot easier. 

Thanks in advance!

Not all of each root needs to be underwater. You can even let a few completely stay out. They'll either grow longer to touch the water, or they'll become brown stubs (not shriveled thin though).

It's normal to submerge the vine, where the roots come out. You're right that the leaves and each leaf's stem needs to stay out. 

I'm having trouble visualizing 3 leaves growing out of 1 spot on the vine, like in the drawing. If all the leaves and all the roots are coming out of 1 condensed spot, I might try cutting the roots off, and turning the vine vertical. Looking at your drawing, that would put the long section on the left in water, the leaves pointed horizontal, and the spot you cut the roots off of beside the base of the leaves instead of under the leaves.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:33 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Not all of each root needs to be underwater. You can even let a few completely stay out. They'll either grow longer to touch the water, or they'll become brown stubs (not shriveled thin though).

It's normal to submerge the vine, where the roots come out. You're right that the leaves and each leaf's stem needs to stay out. 

I'm having trouble visualizing 3 leaves growing out of 1 spot on the vine, like in the drawing. If all the leaves and all the roots are coming out of 1 condensed spot, I might try cutting the roots off, and turning the vine vertical. Looking at your drawing, that would put the long section on the left in water, the leaves pointed horizontal, and the spot you cut the roots off of beside the base of the leaves instead of under the leaves.

Not the exact same spot but close together and the roots are coming out between two of the leaf stems (I did say it was a rubbish sketch haha - when I get home tonight I'll try and remember to take a picture and post it and you can judge just how bad my sketch was!). Not sure why that section of roots is shrivelling up then if they don't need to be completely submerged. 

What you suggested was what I hoped would work but wasn't sure, if I do that will new roots start to grow out the long section on the left that would be placed in the water? 

I keep a good chunk of stem in the water below the bottom leaf and let the roots do what they want.  I guide them a bit around the other plants in the tank, but that’s all.  I’m putting just cuttings from my potted plant into the water.  I’m not trying to convert roots, although I know you can.

For me, it’s just easier to cut a bit of stem with 1-3 leaves, then stick the stem in the water and wait.  I cut fairly close above a leaf so I have at least 1-2” of stem to go in the water.  The stem will still take up water and roots will gradually start growing, eventually getting very long and extensive.  The plants in my 29 gallon reach all the way down to the new substrate I just added.  I can’t wait to see what happens once they get to the dirt and Osmocote granules under the sand.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:41 AM, Odd Duck said:

I keep a good chunk of stem in the water below the bottom leaf and let the roots do what they want.  I guide them a bit around the other plants in the tank, but that’s all.  I’m putting just cuttings from my potted plant into the water.  I’m not trying to convert roots, although I know you can.

For me, it’s just easier to cut a bit of stem with 1-3 leaves, then stick the stem in the water and wait.  I cut fairly close above a leaf so I have at least 1-2” of stem to go in the water.  The stem will still take up water and roots will gradually start growing, eventually getting very long and extensive.  The plants in my 29 gallon reach all the way down to the new substrate I just added.  I can’t wait to see what happens once they get to the dirt and Osmocote granules under the sand.

If I do that should I recut a little off of the stem part I'm placing in the water? The very end of it is brown and dry where it's healed over so not sure it would take up much water!

On 9/6/2021 at 2:00 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

If I do that should I recut a little off of the stem part I'm placing in the water? The very end of it is brown and dry where it's healed over so not sure it would take up much water!

If you have roots that look good, they’ll be taking up enough water it won’t matter.  The cut stem ends eventually look brown.  But they take up enough water in the beginning to sustain the little plant start until the roots develop.  If your start is looking wilted and there’s no roots that look fully healthy, then you might be better off cutting the stem and starting over.  If you have at least some healthy looking roots, then you’re still in good shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:08 AM, Odd Duck said:

If you have roots that look good, they’ll be taking up enough water it won’t matter.  The cut stem ends eventually look brown.  But they take up enough water in the beginning to sustain the little plant start until the roots develop.  If your start is looking wilted and there’s no roots that look fully healthy, then you might be better off cutting the stem and starting over.  If you have at least some healthy looking roots, then you’re still in good shape.

Most of the roots look ok except where it joins the stem, about an inch or so has gone brown and shrivelled and I expect the rest will follow so I think I will cut them off and cut the stem and just start over!

On 9/6/2021 at 1:38 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

if I do that will new roots start to grow out the long section on the left that would be placed in the water? 

Roots can grow from a variety of places on the vine. I'm guessing if the part underwater is at least 3 inches long, it's very likely roots will grow from it.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:18 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Most of the roots look ok except where it joins the stem, about an inch or so has gone brown and shrivelled

Just checking. Does "shriveled" mean that it got very thin, like a thread? Or does "shriveled" mean it stayed thick, but became brown on its surface (could be smooth brown or crusted/scaly)? When roots grow, but don't find water, they stop growing and cover themselves in something like paper-thin tree bark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 2:18 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Most of the roots look ok except where it joins the stem, about an inch or so has gone brown and shrivelled and I expect the rest will follow so I think I will cut them off and cut the stem and just start over!

Shriveled doesn’t sound good.  Thick and brown is OK, like @CalmedByFish says.  Shriveled and skinny doesn’t sound viable.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 5:06 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Roots can grow from a variety of places on the vine. I'm guessing if the part underwater is at least 3 inches long, it's very likely roots will grow from it.

Just checking. Does "shriveled" mean that it got very thin, like a thread? Or does "shriveled" mean it stayed thick, but became brown on its surface (could be smooth brown or crusted/scaly)? When roots grow, but don't find water, they stop growing and cover themselves in something like paper-thin tree bark.

Pretty thin like a thread I think - I'll add a couple pics of it soon

On 9/6/2021 at 11:26 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Pretty thin like a thread I think - I'll add a couple pics of it soon

Sounds like those roots are done.  Are there any that look thick or are they all shriveled?  If all shriveled, cut above them back to healthy stem and start over with the cut end in the water.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 11:28 AM, Odd Duck said:

If all shriveled, cut above them back to healthy stem and start over with the cut end in the water.

Yep. And if the end of the vine doesn't look as healthy as the rest of the vine, I'd say to cut that off, too. My experience has been that when the tip starts looking rotty, the rot always keeps growing up the stem. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 12:07 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

16309477842581031195114554996660.jpg.2882dc084becf51f5c1982d3cb95e4a6.jpg16309478672016029575447468895692.jpg.d72a611349ebc6bc290e808bcc6df3d3.jpg

Hope that sort of shows it? Thanks for your help guys!

I've run out of reactions for today which is the only reason I'm not 'liking' your replies 🤦‍♂️ but I am grateful!

That does look pretty questionable on the root and on both ends of the original vine.  I’d cut both back to healthy tissue but the vine looks OK where that root is.  Trimming the bottom end of the vine should hopefully trigger new root growth in about a week.  If it doesn’t, you might need to cut off that dry root as close to the vine as is practical to trigger new root growth.

I understand, I run out of reacts in about 10 minutes, usually.  That’s the only thing frustrating about this forum.

• Thanks 2

On 9/6/2021 at 1:55 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Thanks @Odd Duck! That's how I will do it then, hopefully I can trigger roots from the far end to grow so I can place it vertically in the water without getting the leaves wet

Yes, that’s for sure the goal.  If the base of the first leaf is in the water it isn’t the end of the world, but it would be better with it out of the water.  It looks like you have a new little root nub trying to start already, so keep a close eye on it.

Your new vine where the leaves are looks like it’s doing well, so you’re not too far from the point where the original vine may not matter what it does.  The new root nub looks like it’s starting from all new growth. Just watch close for any further signs of rot and try to keep from knocking around the new little root as it develops.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:05 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, that’s for sure the goal.  If the base of the first leaf is in the water it isn’t the end of the world, but it would be better with it out of the water.  It looks like you have a new little root nub trying to start already, so keep a close eye on it.

Your new vine where the leaves are looks like it’s doing well, so you’re not too far from the point where the original vine may not matter what it does.  The new root nub looks like it’s starting from all new growth. Just watch close for any further signs of rot and try to keep from knocking around the new little root as it develops.

Noted! Will do, thanks again 😀 🌿 

Edit: oh look at that I got more likes again, timer must have reset!

Edited by KentFishFanUK
  • Haha 2

I let mine soak in windowsill with easy green and equilibrium and replacewater  with used tank water regularly heavy fertz until the rot stops and the white roots shoot before adding to tanks. For whatever reason pothos roots melt for me just as an emerged plant then regrow stronger

58179A32-4063-4597-8CEC-2E57E7C2B12E.jpeg

E99793A5-24BB-4423-BD12-CFDFD5040289.jpeg
sorry for upside down 

AD637151-5B3C-451D-AA11-7CD4A524D233.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

I cut a long runner that had shed old leaves.

1631321581988407149997193631865.jpg.4af7ee174dcc36698dce53e4e5f13535.jpg

It rooted quickly into the soil, through out another root about halfway up the stem when I finally filled the tank to the halfway point, and now that the tank has been full for two months is putting out new roots en masse at the water surface. 

16313216361105628874341226626879.jpg.56f3432276b87be51aad3f4a567182f3.jpg

I add pothos to new tanks, and gradually increase the water level as they grow (if possible) to make the transition from immersed to submerged a little easier on my aquarium plants. 

Works great... for almost everything but my stems😅

• Like 2