Unexpected cherry barb fry!

RachelElizabeth

Right in the midst of treating for camallanus worms, I just saw a cherry barb fry for the first time! I'm not sure if there are others (or if there were others and they didn't make it this far).  I was definitely NOT trying to breed them on purpose, so I'm very unprepared.

I would love for this little guy to survive, but I have never bred anything other than pond mosquito fish before and I have no idea where to start. I would guess that I need to feed fry food. The fish is approximately 3mm in length. Also, I know there is a big risk of being eaten, either by the parents or the other fish in the tank (75 gallon community with cherry barbs, honey gourami, and rubber pleco). BUT I doubt I'll be able to catch him since he's so small and there are plants all around. 

If anyone has any ideas to get me started, please let me know! Even if this fry doesn't make it, I want to be prepared if they spawn again in the future!

Edit: spelling

Edited by RachelElizabeth
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I had unexpected Cherry Barb fry this spring. They just about the cutest thing ever. They seemed to take care of themselves. The tank was new at the time but they hid in the patches of Java Moss and about 8-9 survived. At some point I bought some Hikari First Bites but I think they mostly found infusoria in the moss. For the longest time they all looked female. It took about three months for the males to color up. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 11:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

I recently started using sera micron and easy fry. I’m rather impressed with them for itsy bitsy fry. 

I too and using the easy fry and the guppies and swordtails love it.  I also take some flake food and crush it up into a powder for variety. 

Could also start feeding BBS.  If you dont want to hatch it you could buy some frozen and it would be just as good. 

• Like 3

You can also get decapsulate brine shrimp eggs...you do not have to hatch them...you feed them directly and they have great nutrition value.

Here is what I found info wise...

DECAPSULATED or “shell-free” NON-HATCHING BRINE SHRIMP EGGS are typically fed directly to a wide variety of tropical fish - providing excellent nutritional value without the necessity and down-time of hatching. The outer shell, the chorion, has been chemically removed or oxidized using a concentrated chlorine solution. This process leaves the thin hatching membrane surrounding the unhatched brine shrimp embryo intact. Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs theoretically have a higher energy value than live brine shrimp since the energy consumed in the hatching process is conserved. Lipids and amino acids are left largely intact. Simply rehydrate the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for a few minutes in fresh water and feed directly to your fry or juveniles

Just another option.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:02 PM, GameCzar said:

Right now Im using co-op fry food, sera micron, and ocean nutrition instant baby brine. 
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/instant-baby-brine-shrimp
I've been scared to jump into hatching my own, but this works great so far!

I promise …hatching BBS is super easy.  I had never done it before either and I am hatching a new batch daily. 
Here is what my setup looks like…3AAB3543-6EDE-417E-A240-563342E1CA6D.jpeg.99fc59c34c984a7e8783ed22048b1b5e.jpeg

It takes me 36 hours for full hatch and I get a morning and evening feeding per container. 

• Like 4