Aquarium co-op fish net

aquachris

Sadly the length look really short which is pretty useless on a 120. I really need a nice net that has a longish handle. I had one that I had purchased up north when living there but i had to cut it to get an oto out; and the ones sold around here are all short handled. I think the handle was 14 or 16 inches long and the net was 5 or 6 inches wide.

On 9/1/2021 at 2:51 PM, anewbie said:

Sadly the length look really short which is pretty useless on a 120. I really need a nice net that has a longish handle. I had one that I had purchased up north when living there but i had to cut it to get an oto out; and the ones sold around here are all short handled. I think the handle was 14 or 16 inches long and the net was 5 or 6 inches wide.

I wonder if you can mix and match handles or use two handles together.

I can't tell for sure but all the handles in the video look fairly short - 9ish inch. Even in the 29 i prefer a net with a longer handle. Also I wonder why they chose black. I often wonder if the net was clear if the fish would be less aware. i suspect it is the motion of water that trigger the 'run' in fishes but they do have excellent sight. Guppies and angelfishes are of course trivial to catch but loaches and swordtails are a pia to chase.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:41 PM, anewbie said:

I can't tell for sure but all the handles in the video look fairly short - 9ish inch. Even in the 29 i prefer a net with a longer handle. Also I wonder why they chose black. I often wonder if the net was clear if the fish would be less aware. i suspect it is the motion of water that trigger the 'run' in fishes but they do have excellent sight. Guppies and angelfishes are of course trivial to catch but loaches and swordtails are a pia to chase.

The large one has a 12.75" handle, the medium has a 12" handle, the small has a 9.75" handle, and the nano has a 9.25" handle. 

@anewbie 

On 9/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, Cory said:

The shaft is carbon fiber, I love these nets so far. There are tweaks I would make, but an all aluminum net and other crazy things would make for $50+ nets lol.

also our powerhead is available as well.

Hello Cory! Not to sound rude but is there anything interesting or special about the new powerheads? Why did you decide to sell them? 

• Administrators
On 9/1/2021 at 7:55 PM, quirkylemon103 said:

Hello Cory! Not to sound rude but is there anything interesting or special about the new powerheads? Why did you decide to sell them? 

We needed one that fit our sponge filters. While doing this I eliminated the venturi system, made the cord extra long. Kept the price down and can keep them in stock as the aquatop we carried before was difficult to keep in stock.

• Administrators
On 9/1/2021 at 10:46 PM, anewbie said:

Ok thanks. Well that confirms my presumption that they are way too short for my usage. Thanks.

Also know that long nets make it much harder to catch stuff. It's one of those you think you do, but you don't situations. A super long handled net, is like trying to sweep the floor on a ladder with a 10 ft long broom.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:28 PM, Cory said:

Also know that long nets make it much harder to catch stuff. It's one of those you think you do, but you don't situations. A super long handled net, is like trying to sweep the floor on a ladder with a 10 ft long broom.

I don't disagree. There are just times when I don't want to put my arm into the tank. A 120 is 24 inches high; a 29 is 18 inches high. In the video it look like you were dealing with shallow tanks. Esp for the 120 a bottom feeder and a 12 inch handle means my hand is going to be a foot into the tank if the fish isn't next to the front glass... yea i do it when i have to but i really miss my 16 inch handle net....

Edited by anewbie

On 9/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, anewbie said:

I don't disagree. There are just times when I don't want to put my arm into the tank. A 120 is 24 inches high; a 29 is 18 inches high. In the video it look like you were dealing with shallow tanks. Esp for the 120 a bottom feeder and a 12 inch handle means my hand is going to be a foot into the tank if the fish isn't next to the front glass... yea i do it when i have to but i really miss my 16 inch handle net....

probably Cory can clarify how these nets are assembled, but it looks like the net, shaft, and handle are separate parts, and the net attaches by tightening a ferrule onto the shaft.  You might be able to customize your shaft length by replacing it with carbon "kite tube" that you cut to size yourself.  It comes in all sizes, but would be expensive for a net (but not really that expensive).  eg  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FJFYQYZ/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got mine!  The order shipped beyond faster than it was supposed to, especially with the holiday.

As commented it is 3 parts, the net with a tightening nut for the shaft, the shaft and the handle part.  I could imagine if you really wanted you could get a longer shaft as mentioned, but playing around with the size, I feel its a good size for control.  I should have ordered a small, I ordered Large, Medium and Nano.  I figured the Medium would be a lot smaller, but it really is a small step down.  I'll still enjoy the size though, I just should have ordered one of each.  The Large would be great for my Oscars!  The quality is pretty good, they feel just right, the net seems awesome.  Will need to try them out, I have some guppies to separate this weekend, I'll try to post back my findings if I remember. 

My initial improvement idea would be to have something come along you can put in the hole for the handle - to loop so that I can hang them.  I have a lot of command hooks I use to hang my nets from, but the type I have are pretty wide hooks, and wont fit the hole in the handle.  I can easily come up with something, just would have been nice to have something with it.

These are the nets sitting on 20 gallon talls.

image.png.429f22d793a7bd06198c96fd287835fe.png

Also got my specimen container... will also be trying this out soon...  Same thing, sitting on a 20g Tall.

image.png.6bb705806d22fcf87c137800981c15fb.png

Edited by aquachris
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 10:34 PM, Cory said:

We needed one that fit our sponge filters. While doing this I eliminated the venturi system, made the cord extra long. Kept the price down and can keep them in stock as the aquatop we carried before was difficult to keep in stock.

Thanks for responding.