How to silent fluval aqua clear filter

Stephen Zawacki

Hey y’all so I have a question I love the aqua clear filter series. But there is a rattle that is constant and the tank is in my dorm room.  Is there any way to silent it. I know about Vaseline, but don’t want to do that constantly.  Is there a ceramic impeller replacement,and would that make it silent. 

thx 

I find that the lid can rattle if the sponge inside is beginning to clog. As the sponge fills with debris, the basket itself will start to lift cause the lid to lift slightly and vibrate. I tend to service my filter once a month, I find I do not have problems with it when I do. Another option is to put something on top of the filter or tape the lid down. 

• Like 1

@Stephen Zawacki I’ve had the same problem in the past and apparently it is very common. The lids are just awful. I removed mine all together and placed some pathos in its place. Every so often, I would trim the roots. No more rattling and it creates a much more efficient filter. Hopefully, the coop puts out their own hang on back and then none of these problems would be an issue any longer. Hope this helps. 

• Love 1

@Nooby I do not currently have any hang on backs running. This is just something I’ve done in the past. I’m sure if you google “Pothos in hang on back” it will pull up a bunch of images for you. There are many ways to do so. Personally I would purchase a nice little bushel ($5-$10 any big box hardware store) of it and just plop it in, roots in the filter, leaves popping out. It’s fairly common as I am not smart enough to have thought of this on my own. Good luck and I hope this helps. 

On 8/30/2021 at 2:26 AM, Nooby said:

@TankofFish I know right, I just went and got a much better filter

Same here. I generally love Fluval products but between the rattle and being not self priming I had to switch to something else. It's a shame, I wish the company would fix these issues. They have been this way forever and otherwise they are great filtration.

• Like 1

Some people seem to have more problems than others with these. I hate mine, but thankfully the rattle is not constant. Every other week or so it'll get going. I give the lid a tap and it stops. I put up with it because I've spent too much money already trying to find a hob that will fit over the rim of my 75 gallon. Makes a similar sound as the air pumps which also drives me nuts so it blends hahaha. Marineland and aqueon aren't everyone's cup of tea, but the only thing I ever hear from them is the sound of water flowing. And they self prime. 

Edited by Kara C
  • Like 1

I made my Aquaclear silent by very carefully cleaning it. inside and out. Then rinsing it several times. Then letting it dry thoroughly. Then putting it in a bag on a shelf in the basement next to rest of the aquarium stuff I might need someday.

I'm currently using Marineland Pros, better but not perfect. I wish I could convince myself that a sponge or two is good enough. 

Edited by Ken
  • Haha 4

On 8/31/2021 at 10:38 PM, Ken said:

I made my Aquaclear silent by very carefully cleaning it. inside and out. Then rinsing it several times. Then letting it dry thoroughly. Then putting it in a bag on a shelf in the basement next to rest of the aquarium stuff I might need someday.

I'm currently using Marineland Pros, better but not perfect. I wish I could convince myself that a sponge or two is good enough. 

I have not had any real issues with my Marineland penguins and just cant see paying for the Marineland pro. With that said what is the big diffrence between them besides the $$$?

Edited by TankofFish