Summer Tank Temp ....... YIKES!

Barnacle_Gil

Should I be alarmed that my tank temp. is reaching 81.5 degrees in the summer?  This is in Michigan and no heater is running.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  It's exceeding all of the recommended max. temps for my fish and I'm concerned about stressing them out.  What do you fish keepers do in the south?  Just sayin'   ???

If it's a constant 81.5, then yes I would be concerned. During the recent heatwave my town experienced, my tank reached 82 (did not have ac turn on). I got it to cool down to a good temp by putting a wet towel on one of the sides and a fan blowing on it with the lid open. In some of the hotter areas by the equator, some people have a chiller on their tanks for specific organisms. They're super expensive and not really that important though. You could just try to keep the room temperature at your desired tank temp. This is what I do during winter and summer. 

Barnacle Gil;

At 86 degrees, you don't have anything to worry about, you're also saving money on fish meds.

Think of where your fish are from, most likely the Equatorial regions of the world where water temps are in the mid 80's year round.

I moved from Orlando, FL in 2002 to a one-horse town in WV where the horse died of boredom 100 years ago, the people here have been beating that same dead horse ever since hoping it will come back to life.

Seriously, keep your temps in the mid 80's range, you'll be happier, your fish will be healthier, and you'll be richer, Betta's, Gourami's, and Paradise fish will not breed at temps below 85 degrees, but if your temp goes to 90 degrees your fish will die so you have to monitor closely.

i try to stick in the recommended temp ranges, but fish have a range where they can live just fine. if its on the warmer end for a while, not a big deal. same as you go cooler. most hobby tropical fish will live a longer, and healthier life if they arent cooking all the time.

Here in SW Ohio my tanks peaked at 86F. for the last two weeks.  They do drop a few degrees after sundown. The fish appear to be fine, but I question what effect if any heat has on the plants. 

One tip I haven't seen for reducing the temp is to close the curtains/blinds.  A quick measurement just now indicated that the tank farthest from the windows was 4 deg. cooler than the others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, Tanked said:

Here in SW Ohio my tanks peaked at 86F. for the last two weeks.  They do drop a few degrees after sundown. The fish appear to be fine, but I question what effect if any heat has on the plants. 

One tip I haven't seen for reducing the temp is to close the curtains/blinds.  A quick measurement just now indicated that the tank farthest from the windows was 4 deg. cooler than the others.

absolutely, sun rays through a window can get toasty .