On 8/14/2021 at 10:09 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I'm quite glad to hear others can succumb to this sort of impulse shopping as well!  This is how I ended up with my amphipods, which have yet to yield enough critters to feed to my fish, which was the plan.  🙄

Amphipods are delightful little creatures. 

When you don't want them in your shrimp tank, they multiply like crazy.

When you need a robust colony for fish to eat, they go to the store and buy birth control 🤣

I maintain 3 amphipod tanks now. Feed them heavier than you would shrimp, and drop in a cube of frozen carrot. As the food becomes more plentiful, so do the 'pods.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, ARMYVET said:

THESE THINGS ARE AMAING!!!! 

I am going to need a much much MUCH  bigger fish room!!  This crab tank sitting next to the polypterous and opposite the Shell Dwellers which is cady corner to the Axolotl...I want them all!!!

It is only a 6 gal. tank too! 😉

Also, new shrimplets! Spotted a couple of itty bitty ones this morning. 🦐

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With all of that fog, can you grow Anubias emersed?  How about Buce? I mean that's how they grow in nature (largely).  Or would the crabs eat them? It would be an interesting experiment. 

I enjoy both of your journals because they are both such interesting "concepts" as tanks, and such different designs.  I've decided I really like tanks that have themes, that create little unique worlds.  Both of yours in your journals do that expertly! 

On 10/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

With all of that fog, can you grow Anubias emersed?  How about Buce? I mean that's how they grow in nature (largely).  Or would the crabs eat them? It would be an interesting experiment. 

I enjoy both of your journals because they are both such interesting "concepts" as tanks, and such different designs.  I've decided I really like tanks that have themes, that create little unique worlds.  Both of yours in your journals do that expertly! 

Yes! The Anubias are doing great, and even had a bloom! The Bucephalandra are also thriving. I have a few species of both in there. The Lobelia cardinalis is growing new roots and has a new shoot as well. The crabs do not seem interested in eating them and only go for the duckweed and the fungus on the wood (did you give them the "D" talk???). They love Repashy and will fight the neos for it.

I am glad you are enjoying the tanks. They are fun little worlds. Thank you!

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 2:03 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Gomez knows is Repashy day!

PXL_20211018_172535034_MP.jpg.0c03a9584db4d994ee104e65aa34316f.jpg

Just had to comment on what an amazing photo this is! And what an awesome setup - figured the crabs would eat the shrimp/shrimplets. As a former Chesapeake Bay resident, I can definitely get behind a crab habitat!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:30 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Just had to comment on what an amazing photo this is! And what an awesome setup - figured the crabs would eat the shrimp/shrimplets. As a former Chesapeake Bay resident, I can definitely get behind a crab habitat!

Thank you! The crabs are either not interested in the shrimp or they are reproducing faster than they are being consumed. They seem to favour a vegetarian diet for now. I love crabs! 🦀

• Like 3

On 10/23/2021 at 1:06 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Thank you! The crabs are either not interested in the shrimp or they are reproducing faster than they are being consumed. They seem to favour a vegetarian diet for now. I love crabs! 🦀

Your journal was a great way to introduce my spouse to the bookshelf tank concept 🙂 We have bookcases in almost every room in the house (is there a 12step program for books?) and it would be a nice balance. We're really enjoying our shrimp and if their diets are different....  😇😈

EDIT: Went looking for these guys online just to get an idea of price. First time I've searched online and found NOTHING. I know puffers were scant coming out of India for awhile, so wondering if these are hard to find for similar reasons since they are native to a similar area? 

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

Your journal was a great way to introduce my spouse to the bookshelf tank concept 🙂 We have bookcases in almost every room in the house (is there a 12step program for books?) and it would be a nice balance. We're really enjoying our shrimp and if their diets are different....  😇😈

EDIT: Went looking for these guys online just to get an idea of price. First time I've searched online and found NOTHING. I know puffers were scant coming out of India for awhile, so wondering if these are hard to find for similar reasons since they are native to a similar area? 

They seem to appear seasonally. I asked the vendor to notify me when they were in stock, and bought them online.

I am glad you like the bookshelf aquarium, and the same 12 step program for books shall apply to the bookshelf tanks! 😵

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/24/2021 at 7:21 PM, eatyourpeas said:

They seem to appear seasonally. I asked the vendor to notify me when they were in stock, and bought them online.

I am glad you like the bookshelf aquarium, and the same 12 step program for books shall apply to the bookshelf tanks! 😵

Thanks - I enjoyed watching videos of them yesterday.

So I saw a reference to Dean having a tank in his bathroom recently - we have a built-in small bookcase in our powderoom with 3 shelves. Starting to think one of them needs to be a bookshelf tank. What sort of aquatic life is best enjoyed in that room I wonder? Clean up crew? 😄

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...