On 11/7/2021 at 8:41 PM, Crabby said:

Teach me your ways 😂

I wish I knew what is in this tank that makes them so prolific. Is it that they can hide behind the wood? Is it the tannins? Is it that the crabs are always watching? I'll be sure to share when I discover the secret! 😎

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 2:53 PM, Guppysnail said:

Ahhhh….and so it begins.  Now you see how they can eventually become tiny terrorists 🤣. I’m happy they like their home and are prolific for you. 

I love it too! But I need to extract a few of them and move them to other tanks. There are over 100 shrimp in a six gallon tank filled half way!

On 11/27/2021 at 2:54 PM, Guppysnail said:

Bladder snails have nothing on shrimp once they get going 

True. That is my supply farm for the pea puffers! 😉

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 2:56 PM, Guppysnail said:

Yes I was removing tons of the weekly from my poor little Pygmy cory 10g tank. My Pygmy started hiding from the tiny terrorists 

The shrimp in the Pygmy cory tank are not breeding. Either that or the Kuhli loach is having a feast at night when he comes out. He does look like a sausage now that I think of it!

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Haha 1

@eatyourpeas I found a fairly simple way to trap fish that would work for shrimp: put some sinking food inside an empty cookie tub from Trader Joe’s. (Any tub with tall sides will work, I’m sure! This is just what I had on hand.)

image.jpeg.57194a5b910cd70b0fc1efd0739c8006.jpeg

Then wait half an hour, come back, and put the lid over the tub while you take it out. Some creatures will get scared and escape when you lower the lid over the tub, but most of them try to swim down rather than up. And if you lower the lid slowly, they may not notice. 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I use the net style breeder box. The one with the chincey plastic net and just put repashy in and lift it out. Smaller tanks I just put the food in a net ( the square coop nets would be perfect for this but I have not caught shrimp since I got mine) and jus lift it out. Mine I think would fight me to the death before leaving their precious repashy. I have also done my repashy on a stick closer to the top of the tank and once they are on the stick used the net breeder to engulf them and the stick and lift them out. 

• Like 2

Thank you @Hobbit and @Guppysnail for the suggestions. I have about 1" square of space to execute this extraction maneuver, so, not a lot of room. I am going to try to combine your suggestions with a 1" acrylic tube that is a leftover of the skimmer I made, put a cube of Repashy inside on a skewer, somehow a net underneath it all, and see how that works.

Also, I noticed very few Ramshorn and Bladder snails, and found one Malasyan Trumpet snail. I wonder if the crabs have developed a taste for gastropods. 🦀🐌

• Like 2

@eatyourpeasI thoroughly enjoyed catching up on the last few months of this tank. Delightful. I have found that my neocaridina love unconventional tanks - plastic tubs I use in the garage fish wall, the current edition of The Sad Bowl, etc. I was never able to breed them consistently in a tank like in my Flex 15 which I designed as a shrimp tank. So odd. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Took the cover off for the first time since setting the tank up. Mosses are looking happy, lots of healthy fungus on the wood, which makes me wonder if that is the shrimphrodisiac in that tank. 😵

New babies (again!).

1810334841_PXL_20211212_194338464(1).jpg.799b83f301d01efe1f9beda3d600c27b.jpg

PXL_20211212_194318794.jpg.d098b80b12f6bb980e102f7a907daa08.jpg

PXL_20211212_224703366_MP.jpg.92ac073eb33f2cd002334a295c88b330.jpg

On 12/10/2021 at 2:01 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed catching up on the last few months of this tank. Delightful. I have found that my neocaridina love unconventional tanks - plastic tubs I use in the garage fish wall, the current edition of The Sad Bowl, etc. I was never able to breed them consistently in a tank like in my Flex 15 which I designed as a shrimp tank. So odd. 

Leave it to the shrimp to do the opposite of what you intend! 🤪

Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying it. 😍

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...