• 2 months later...

Cleaned the canister filter, and added some crushed coral because this tank was registering everything at zero! 0 ammonia, 0 NO2, 0 NO3, pH 5.5, KH 0, GH 60, so added a few things during the water change to bring them back to normal.

I have a sponge on the intake of the filter, and yet, when I opened the canister, more than 50 shrimplets of different sizes (3mm to 6mm) and colors were living in there! They got relocated to E-Schi's tank (pea puffer), and a couple of hours later the little pea was looking like a balloon! I could not see any of the blues, so maybe they are like M&Ms to him! 😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, eatyourpeas said:

this tank was registering everything at zero!

Interesting.  I can draw my KH down to 0 (and also bring the pH down pretty low at the same time) by letting my Colombian ramshorn snails grow in a tank without doing water changes.  I learned that one accidentally on vacation this summer.  It's quite a feat to go from 20KH to zero!  Do you think you have enough Ca consumers in there that they are drawing it out of the water?  Just curious if you have a hypothesized cause.  I also wonder if the cc will keep us with demand, if draw down is the cause.  I'll be putting some limestone in my tank with the CRS in hopes of greater stability, but we'll see how that goes. 

On 4/25/2022 at 4:59 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Interesting.  I can draw my KH down to 0 (and also bring the pH down pretty low at the same time) by letting my Colombian ramshorn snails grow in a tank without doing water changes.  I learned that one accidentally on vacation this summer.  It's quite a feat to go from 20KH to zero!  Do you think you have enough Ca consumers in there that they are drawing it out of the water?  Just curious if you have a hypothesized cause.  I also wonder if the cc will keep us with demand, if draw down is the cause.  I'll be putting some limestone in my tank with the CRS in hopes of greater stability, but we'll see how that goes. 

It could be. The tank only has <2 gallos of water in it (6 gallons filled half way but with lots of wood for the crabs). Given that it is inhabited by calcium lovers, I am not surprised. But, this is the ridiculously efficient Neo factory, so I am perplexed that they would thrive in such conditions. :classic_ninja:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/5/2022 at 2:43 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Congrats!  Are you going to pull it or leave it in with the parents?

From what I have read, they should have a better survival rate if removed. I am going to leave them in because I never intended for them to breed.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:36 PM, Patrick_G said:

I had no idea you could breed these!

Neither did I! 🙃

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Morticia was dead yesterday. It did not take long for the tiny terrorists to consume the evidence, and there was no trace of her body this morning. However, I spotted three more crab babies!

image.jpeg.7e0ed2dd076eb275d135d0197f963a86.jpeg

I did turn the mister off so that the hot water does not harm the babies.

• Sad 1

On 8/14/2022 at 1:17 PM, eatyourpeas said:

However, I spotted three more crab babies!

At least that is becoming your unanticipated crab breeding project is going well.  I find that breeding a species makes losses feel less absolute.  It takes the sting of the loss away a bit - though I don't name my critters, so perhaps this does not apply as well here.  Still, I look forward to seeing the progress of her offspring.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 6:04 PM, redfish said:

So sorry.  Thank you for sharing this awesome experience.  

It is Nature at its best, showing the cycle of life. I am prepared for losses like these because the critters have a somewhat short lifespan. The babies were a very sweet surprise, so I welcome the gift. 😍

On 8/15/2022 at 4:36 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Still, I look forward to seeing the progress of her offspring.

So am I. The concept of a teenage crab going through the puberty drama should be entertaining!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

This little one is growing quite well. I could not get pictures of the others because they went to hide behind the plant roots, which they are eating at a crazy pace! Curious as to whether there will be reversion to wild type from the Apricot parents.

image.jpeg.accd781098739be08eb6e3ea9ad5c49c.jpeg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

• 6 months later...