A quick question

BenA

BenA;

There is a type of epoxy glue made for underwater applications such as attaching coral frags to rocks or whatever. This epoxy is a putty that you knead together to activate and is pretty strong. If your LFS also sells saltwater fish, I'll bet that they'll have it, an LFS that doesn't sell saltwater fish may also have it.

Why didn't the superglue work?

On 8/12/2021 at 4:32 PM, lefty o said:

most aquariums are sealed with silicone.  now not all silicones are fish safe, but it is readily available.

I second this. Just do your research. Majority of big fish store tanks are sealed with silicone. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 10:28 PM, Gator said:

Why didn't the superglue work?

I used gel superglue and for whatever reason it has never hardened/dry. My LFS does sale marine fish so I will check about the patty. I wanted to use a DIY glue but didn't feel comfortable about it.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:32 PM, lefty o said:

most aquariums are sealed with silicone.  now not all silicones are fish safe, but it is readily available.

Yes, you are right, I didn't make myself clear. I thought about household silicon, I don't understand why clear silicon for home use can't be used for an aquarium but I don't want to take the risk.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:25 AM, TankofFish said:

GE Silicone 1 is fish safe after it cures. 

Thanks, already did. The LFS sells small tubes so will see them tomorrow.

Thank you all for your time and advise!

On 8/13/2021 at 1:16 PM, BenA said:

Yes, you are right, I didn't make myself clear. I thought about household silicon, I don't understand why clear silicon for home use can't be used for an aquarium but I don't want to take the risk.

It can you just have to get the right stuff. Home improvement stores have about 15-20 different silicone products for different jobs. Clear 100% silicone can be had at these places for ~$8 a tube. It's what I use. Just gotta make sure there are no additives. 

• Like 2

BenA;

Why pay a high price to buy a small tube of silicone glue at your LFS when you can go to the automotive department at your local Wally World to buy a much larger tube of the same silicone for about the same price. As long as it says 100% silicone, it's the same, and you can still get the silicone in clear. The automotive silicone is the only silicone I use except when I'm repairing an aquarium, then I use a caulking gun to apply clear construction silicone, it's the same silicone that aquarium manufacturers use to build aquariums. 

So save yourself some money.

Sincerely

Gator

• Like 2

ArtemisCai;

Both of these are well and good, but you paid an arm and a leg for each of these, including the shipping. The tube on the left is 3 ounces while the tube on the right is 2.7 ounces, and both will do well for the applications you mentioned.

My points are that you can get a larger tube of the same quality silicone in the automotive department at your local Wally World and you can get an even larger amount of the same quality at your local hardware store. With this you'll also need a caulking gun that allows for a precise application with less mess, we don't like a mess in our tanks.

Sincerely

Gator