First planted tank, what do you think of these plants?

On 8/11/2021 at 2:44 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Regardless of the species you buy, or how many species, only buy 1 of each for now. There's no way to know what will or won't live in your parameters/lighting/etc until you try it. If something croaks, you didn't waste money on 2 of it. If something thrives, you can buy more. I've tried about 13 species of plants, 5 of which have turned out to be stable in my water, and only 3 of those do I truly enjoy. 3 out of 13! Try a variety. One of each. More happens later.

This. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2021 at 9:55 PM, Patrick_G said:

It looks really nice. I think Monte Carlo might struggle with that light. It’s worth a try but it will be tough to get that carpet effect. I’d maybe do some Anubias Nana and some smallish crypts.    

Is there such a thing as a plant that carpets in low light? I don't like the grassy ones, but I like the pillowy look of monte carlo or dwarf baby tears. (When I tried baby tears, it wouldn't even grow roots, then just dissolved entirely.)

On 8/29/2021 at 10:46 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Is there such a thing as a plant that carpets in low light? I don't like the grassy ones, but I like the pillowy look of monte carlo or dwarf baby tears. (When I tried baby tears, it wouldn't even grow roots, then just dissolved entirely.)

Some folks say java moss will carpet, but mine grows longer a lot more than it expands. 

I have a Aquatop 14 cube that’s similar dimensions. I find it’s problematic to get enough light to the bottom of the foreground without blasting other areas of the tank. I’d want to do one of two options. 
-a light that sits higher up like the ONF Nano or the Chihiros knockoff or a Hiro Aquatics at ~$100-159.

-Two budget strip lights like Nicrew. I use this method to get full coverage on my 75 gal without breaking the bank. They run about $20 each your size tank. 

On 8/30/2021 at 8:06 AM, GameCzar said:

Some folks say java moss will carpet, but mine grows longer a lot more than it expands. 

I actually just bought some! It's in quarantine at the moment, but I plan to glue patches on small flat rocks. That's not a carpet, but maybe we could call them "rugs." 

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 6:06 AM, GameCzar said:

The Aquarium Coop mesh squares are great for this, but I had your experience. Instead of a carpet mine grew into more of a bush. It likes to reach for the light

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, CalmedByFish said:

My new java moss is on those. I assumed the mesh could scratch critters, so is just for growing and shipping. Is the intent that the moss can stay on it indefinitely?

I grew mine out attached to the mesh for several months. I didn’t have any problems. That one square has grown out to supply moss for all my tanks, but in the beginning it looked great as a carpet in a little 3 gallon. 

• Thanks 1