First planted tank showcase/journal (29 gallon)

I modified my sponge filter to fit an air stone, and apparently the white clouds approve, because I think I witnessed some mating behavior. There was a fired up male with his stripe all pink showing off his dorsal to everyone, and I briefly saw what seemed to be a mating embrace among the anubius nana petite. From what I understand the eggs are tiny so Idk if they would be visible to me. Will keep a look out for fry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did some work updating this tank a little. Also added 7 gold white clouds to my 8 standard white clouds. I have heard Cory say having a bigger school helps bring out more natural behavior in schooling fish, and that certainly seems to be the case. There is a lot more flaring and sparring going on. Mostly fins out shimmying with an occasional body check. From what I understand that's pretty normal. I've only had them since Monday morning, so things might settle down a little. Also goby is still doing good.

Pic and video. Does this seem like typical behavior? @WhitecloudDynasty

20220810_130320.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 1:52 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

Did some work updating this tank a little. Also added 7 gold white clouds to my 8 standard white clouds. I have heard Cory say having a bigger school helps bring out more natural behavior in schooling fish, and that certainly seems to be the case. There is a lot more flaring and sparring going on. Mostly fins out shimmying with an occasional body check. From what I understand that's pretty normal. I've only had them since Monday morning, so things might settle down a little. Also goby is still doing good.

Pic and video. Does this seem like typical behavior? @WhitecloudDynasty

20220810_130320.jpg

Looks normal to me. Very healthy stock!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't quite happy with how the tank looked so I re-updated it. White clouds and goby all seem to be doing well. Have seen some definite mating behavior from the minnows, including some mating embraces. Not actively trying to raise babies but I'll hold out hope some make it. Also got a video of goby going to town munching on the algae covered side wall.

20220823_171801.jpg

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Slightly new look for this tank. I added some wood to tame the hornwort without having to wedge it in down low, because it tends to die at the bottom when I do that. I like the foresty look. Also there is a shrimp molt caught in all the moss/algae on that stick in the right center (if you're wondering). 

20220929_191046.jpg

20220929_191055.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well. I'm pretty sad. I found Goby dead today. She was acting normal as recently as last night. No changes in water parameters. Everyone else is fine. I really don't know what happened. My only thoughts are maybe she somehow accidentally choked on a mini ramshorn. Or she just happened to be an older goby when she came to me and it was her time. I'd like to think that. But it still feels terrible. I took pictures if anyone wants to attempt diagnosing but I won't post them without prompting. She looked normal. Just not moving and no life in her eyes. Didn't respond to stimuli. Finally flipped upside down when pulled out of the corner. Put her in a separate bucket. Stayed upside down. No movement or response. Buried her in the garden. She brought plenty of joy. I hope I didn't unknowingly cause her demise somehow. RIP

• Sad 3

@Solstice_Lacer I just caught up on your journal. I don't see anything you documented that would have contributed to, much less caused, Goby's death.

We never know how old fish are when we get them, even tiny fish we assume are young can be old fish with stunted growth due to high nitrates in the water they were bred in.

I am so sorry you lost your majestic Goby, I would say you made the last months of Goby's life the most enjoyable an aquarium fish could hope for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Long time no update. Combination of a busy time of year and not being totally happy with this tank. My hornwort was just collecting hair algae like nobodies business, so I ended up pulling most of it. I added water spangles for the dangling roots. I also have some cholla wood now. 

I had to deal with some anubius rot (NOT from aquarium coop), but thankfully seem to have survived without losing everything. 

After rearranging some stuff here we are. The white clouds are good. I have some cherry shrimp still that seem good. There was a little bit of pest snail outbreak, so Shelly the assassin moved back in. She didn't wipe everyone out but that's fine, I don't mind some. 

I also have Pete, the biggest bladder snail around. I think (s)he made at least one baby as well. Descended from one who snuck into my 2 gallon jar. There is still a colony of his brethren in there.

In the bowl my pink ramshorns finally started making babies, so some of them will be growing up in the big tank.

Also in the bowl I managed to move in 3 white cloud fry a while ago. They are reaching decent size and I'm wondering when to move them back with the parents. I don't want them to be bullied, but also don't want them feeling cramped in the bowl.

@WhitecloudDynastyAny thoughts on when to reintroduce them?

20230120_192803.jpg

20230120_192514.jpg

20230120_190525.jpg

Edited by Solstice_Lacer
Details
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 1:25 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

Long time no update. Combination of a busy time of year and not being totally happy with this tank. My hornwort was just collecting hair algae like nobodies business, so I ended up pulling most of it. I added water spangles for the dangling roots. I also have some cholla wood now. 

I had to deal with some anubius rot (NOT from aquarium coop), but thankfully seem to have survived without losing everything. 

After rearranging some stuff here we are. The white clouds are good. I have some cherry shrimp still that seem good. There was a little bit of pest snail outbreak, so Shelly the assassin moved back in. She didn't wipe everyone out but that's fine, I don't mind some. 

I also have Pete, the biggest bladder snail around. I think (s)he made at least one baby as well. Descended from one who snuck into my 2 gallon jar. There is still a colony of his brethren in there.

In the bowl my pink ramshorns finally started making babies, so some of them will be growing up in the big tank.

Also in the bowl I managed to move in 3 white cloud fry a while ago. They are reaching decent size and I'm wondering when to move them back with the parents. I don't want them to be bullied, but also don't want them feeling cramped in the bowl.

@WhitecloudDynastyAny thoughts on when to reintroduce them?

20230120_192803.jpg

20230120_192514.jpg

20230120_190525.jpg

They look big enough, if you do add them in add them in at night so they all wake up together 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...