Wet Spot trip -what should I buy?

Patrick_G

I’m going to make a day trip to this store in Portland. I need a few more Panda Corydoras and Rummy Nose Tetras but I’d like to get a few interesting fish to fill out my current tanks. 

I currently have lightly stocked 75 gallon and 11 gallon tanks, a 7 gal betta and frog tank,  a 3 gal snail tank and an Empty 3gal. What should I consider buying? 

• Like 1

I make my way to that store every few months. I do only go midweek to avoid the crowds and in the past there have been some waits with limited indoor capacity. However recently I went and it was back to normal as far as in store shopping and capacity. I have also not ever had anything but helpfulness from the staff. 

As far as fish, their list is published on their website for some ahead of time browsing or getting a sense of price. I personally enjoy the variety of lesser known south American cichlids. They also have some rarer anabantoids and bushfish that are usually pretty well priced if you want to try something like that. I have microctenopoma ansorgi from there that are really neat. 

Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip and hopefully it's not too busy.

• Thanks 1

For reasonably sized cichlids, the Apistogramma macmasteri "Red Neck" is a pretty stunning variety.

For schooling fish I like the look of the "Royal aripuana blue" emperor tetras. Very unique blue/purple color.

If you want an oddball, the Amazon Leaf fish is one of the cooler ones I've seen. Looks just like a leaf! They are definitely a little harder to care for though.

• Like 1

What a nice store! Cameron, the manager is very friendly and definitely and uber nerm. I was having so much fun talking fish that I bought way to many. I have no idea what I’m going to do with a Peacock Gudgeon! I think I’ll start a thread with some sort of unboxing. 

The Fahaka reminded me of a mini Murphy. 

598464B9-76EF-44EE-A236-2B5BAEB03487.jpeg

AE8C6B0F-5EF0-4E1B-A25D-67606090338C.jpeg

• Like 2

@Patrick_G awesome pictures sorry i missed this one until now. Glad you got a chance to get to that store it is certainly on my list to visit in person. 

I am a frequent flier with the online sales department so much so I almost feel like im part of their fish family. My brother and sister in law live in the general area and now send me a gift card from there for christmas each year.  Always a fun experience and very helpful with anything i might be looking for at this point in out retail relationship. Im pretty sure they are just awesome with everyone. 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 9:27 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’m going to make a day trip to this store in Portland. I need a few more Panda Corydoras and Rummy Nose Tetras but I’d like to get a few interesting fish to fill out my current tanks. 

I currently have lightly stocked 75 gallon and 11 gallon tanks, a 7 gal betta and frog tank,  a 3 gal snail tank and an Empty 3gal. What should I consider buying? 

I would have a hard time leaving without some loaches. I’ve had my eye on their “pigmy striped loach”, “batik loach”, and “serpent loach” for a while. They’re frequently in stock there. They also have some metallicus livebearers that I like. Or maybe some sparkling gouramis. I’d go nuts if I could actually visit sometime. I have a hard enough time saying “no, not yet, not this time” when I read their stock list every Friday night. 

• Like 1