All year around pond fish

Taco Playz

Thanks my lfs has some water lettuce in their outdoor pond. Our neighbors keep on feeding the stray cats food which I am fine with but I will not be fine if they keep on puking in my yard and getting to close to my pond. Thanks @DSH OUTDOORS for the raccoon advise too. Will cats get in my pond because these guys are very mean and vicious. Thanks  

On 7/27/2021 at 8:17 AM, Taco Playz said:

Thanks my lfs has some water lettuce in their outdoor pond. Our neighbors keep on feeding the stray cats food which I am fine with but I will not be fine if they keep on puking in my yard and getting to close to my pond. Thanks @DSH OUTDOORS for the raccoon advise too. Will cats get in my pond because these guys are very mean and vicious. Thanks  

I imagine they will certainly try to nab some fish.  Especially if they are feral cats.  The dog proofs will certainly catch them the same as the coons or skunks.  Depending on how mean and vicious I would try to relocate them to an area with less wildlife and more people or the local shelter.  Let them become someone else's problem. Feral cats are a horrible invasive species to all small or young wildlife.  These "ditch cougars" can wipe out a nest of game birds just for fun in a night and come back the next night to get another nest. And of course disclaimer, make sure you abide by all local trapping laws in your area before setting a trap for any wild animal.

We’ve tried to ask our neighbors to stop feeding them but they don’t listen at all. Should I put a tarp over it at night? Btw my lfs just ordered 4 blue sparkle ricefish so they should get them in Wednesday or Thursday! Thank you so much everyone! And Special thanks to @DSH OUTDOORS and the rest that have helped me along this journey of starting my first outdoor pond!!!

• Like 1

As far as my ponds and fish go.  I have 250+ mutt guppies (bought 200 adult females from LFS for 1.99 each) and 5 Calico Bristlenose growing out in my 165 gallon pond. I have a small pond fountain with a course sponge pre filter running continuously which is my only filtration.  It is heavily planted with the guppy grass, duck weed, lillies and water lettuce growing like mad.  I haven't seen the Val reach the surface yet but it might be shaded a bit under everything else.  The plastic pond is dug in 18" of the 24" depth.  I will not be able to over winter as I live in Minnesota and that thing will freeze solid come January.  All the inhabitants will go in tubs in the basement over winter where I can sort through and grab individuals that I want to line breed.  I also have four 27 gallon plastic half barrel tubs from Home Depot on the covered deck.  Two have sand substrate and rock work. One has red cherry shrimp with a line of fancy guppy that i cannot remember the name of the other has black lace guppy with blue dream shrimp.  The other two have no substrate and one a fancy guppy line and the other has red endlers.  All of these 27 gallon totes have a mix of duckweed, water lettuce and hornwart.  None of them have any air or filtration running.  All are thriving and reproducing like mad.  I am surprised I have not had issues in the 27 gallon tubs because of the mid 80s to 90s weather we have been having for the last month but I believe the covered deck and heavy planting has provided enough oxygen during the day and our nights have still cooled off enough to keep the temps manageable.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 8:36 AM, Taco Playz said:

We’ve tried to ask our neighbors to stop feeding them but they don’t listen at all. 

Many places have a program where stray cats are spayed or neutered, then released after healing. While under anesthesia, they'll clip the corner of one ear so it's easy for people to know the cat won't make more.

All things considered, this is probably the kindest thing to do. The current cats do need the help of people to survive (they're not wild, just stray or feral), so it's good to intentionally give them food, water, and shelter from heat and cold. In fact, if the cats are full of food that's easy to eat, they wouldn't need your fish.

I think it would be worth some googling, or calling vets in your area, to find out whether this kind of program is available. 

It would be a massive cognitive dissonance to care about one kind of animal while not caring about another kind of animal.