300 gallon above ground pond

PSA just set up last night only have a pump to move water in it right now thinking about adding a sponge or canister So I’m doing a thing got permission to set this big boy up want to start growing out guppys shrimp plants  probably some other small community fish that can co-habitat if that’s possible  any tips an ideas  welcomed 

0970F8AE-9B67-4EFF-9FC2-83F926E7F329.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Wow it looks great, you should check zenzo/tazawa he has some cool ideas for filters for ponds with natural plants that you could do, I do think sponge filter with a solar usb conector will be great, since you can buy the usb air pump at aquariumcoop and the solar usb at Amazon, i hope you let us see it as it gets better and better

• Love 1

Hello fellow Ponder!  Where are you located?  Im in South Florida.

I just set up a 150 gallon myself....I am using 2 AqCOOP large sponge filters in mine I have it loaded with plants. rooted and floating.  Your idea to do guppies and shrimp...great.  If you looking for the trio then you go with a platy OR swordtail....they will not interbreed.  I say or because if you put platys and swords together...THEY CAN INTERBREED.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

• Love 1

On 7/11/2021 at 5:34 AM, ARMYVET said:

I just set up a 150 gallon myself....I am using 2 AqCOOP large sponge filters in mine I have it loaded with plants. rooted and floating.  Your idea to do guppies and shrimp...great.  If you looking for the trio then you go with a platy OR swordtail....they will not interbreed.  I say or because if you put platys and swords together...THEY CAN INTERBREED.

What other fish would interbreed do you have any Info on this 

On 7/11/2021 at 12:12 PM, Jcdli said:

What other fish would interbreed do you have any Info on this 

On 7/12/2021 at 1:07 AM, Casual aquatics said:

I’m interested as well I want to breed multiple kinds of fish but don’t want cross breeding 

I’m going to give you the trifecta…Guppies, swordtail or platy (not both they can intermix between them) and cherry shrimp. If you can grow guppy grass as well.  That is jackpot. But shhhhh don’t tell anyone!😂 

These all take the same water parameters so not problems there.  You potentially could also do some BNP 

Edited by ARMYVET

On 7/13/2021 at 6:13 PM, ARMYVET said:

I’m going to give you the trifecta…Guppies, swordtail or platy (not both they can intermix between them) and cherry shrimp. If you can grow guppy grass as well.  That is jackpot. But shhhhh don’t tell anyone!😂 

These all take the same water parameters so not problems there.  You potentially could also do some BNP 

What is guppy grass 

On 7/11/2021 at 5:34 AM, ARMYVET said:

On 7/13/2021 at 6:13 PM, ARMYVET said:

What is guppy grass 

• Thanks 1

Weed for fish🤣  

sorry I couldn’t help myself! 

Its a plant that doesn’t ship very well at all so if you can grow lots of it your LFS would love it.  Especially since they can sell you guppies , platys and grass with some shrimp all to one customer and it’s like a piece of where they came from! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Najas_guadalupensis

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2021 at 9:24 PM, Jcdli said:

What is guppy grass 

What is guppy grass 

On 7/13/2021 at 9:54 PM, ARMYVET said:

Weed for fish🤣  

Its a plant that doesn’t ship very well at all so if you can grow lots of it your LFS would love it.  Especially since they can sell you guppies , platys and grass with some shrimp all to one customer and it’s like a piece of where they came from! 

Sadly my lfs only dose store credit but it’s still something and they have good products so well worth it I suppose. Have some “prospects “ to sale ultimately I just want to do it to see if I have what it takes I get so excited when my fish inside randomly mate! Ironically this tub was meant for large cichlids  but I can’t have it inside where I live  and I’m not putting my  large fish outside where a raccoon can get to them . It’s all around gonna be a learning curve. That I look forward too 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 10:40 PM, Casual aquatics said:

Sadly my lfs only dose store credit but it’s still something and they have good products so well worth it I suppose. Have some “prospects “ to sale ultimately I just want to do it to see if I have what it takes I get so excited when my fish inside randomly mate! Ironically this tub was meant for large cichlids  but I can’t have it inside where I live  and I’m not putting my  large fish outside where a raccoon can get to them . It’s all around gonna be a learning curve. That I look forward too 

Yeah indee it is, but we will get there 

On 7/13/2021 at 6:54 PM, ARMYVET said:

Weed for fish🤣  

Jajajjajajaa no wonder guppies reproduce so much they are like rabbits because they are high, i have discovered that my tank it’s not for fish that swing at the top, or fish that free to much, i guess I just like to see my fish grown big and nice, lately I have seem new fish near my area in Los Ángeles and I go like wow those are pretty, also quick question how can I find if there is a club near me 

On 7/14/2021 at 2:09 AM, Jcdli said:

Jajajjajajaa no wonder guppies reproduce so much they are like rabbits because they are high, i have discovered that my tank it’s not for fish that swing at the top, or fish that free to much, i guess I just like to see my fish grown big and nice, lately I have seem new fish near my area in Los Ángeles and I go like wow those are pretty, also quick question how can I find if there is a club near me 

I knew through Fb about my local club but you should be able to google local fish club in  Los Angeles  and find one