Struggling Ember Tetra

DebSills

I picked up a group of 8 Embers on Monday - right away there was one that was kind of off on his own and never really came out and seemed to kind of hide on the bottom of the tank...he did swim around normally, there doesn't seem to be any outward signs of illness...today I came home from work and found him stuck to the sponge filter, I thought he was dead - well, I moved the filter and he swam off. He seemed kind of pale and I wasn't sure if he was sick or what was going on...luckily my quarantine tank was already set up and cycled so I scooped him out and put him in there (tested again just now and all good, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate). He seems to be still a little pale and is still kind of hiding in the quarantine tank (QT is 10, main is 29). 

My thought is that he may just be too small for the bigger tank - he is definitely smaller than the rest (who are all pretty small, so that is saying something). I am planning on getting another 7-9 Embers this weekend, so my question is...should I try to find a few more little ones to put in the QT with him so he's not alone (truly don't think he is sick, I'm not sure he's gotten much to eat though) or should I just leave him alone and let him grow a little and then try to reintroduce him to the bigger tank?

any other suggestions on what to do?

the other 7 all seem to explore and swim around the tank fine, so my only guess is his size and maybe just fear?

20210708_192143.jpg.63a1b758bf3c7fafc4c0da5e92274ef4.jpg

UPDATE:

I did put some salt in on Thursday, he definitely perked up and got him to eat some this morning - I got some additional embers today and put him back with his buddies (pretty sure being alone was stressing him out a little) - all 18 embers are exploring the tank and mostly schooling together now 🙂 I think they are all going to be much happier now (especially since LFS had frozen BBS which they will get in the morning)

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!

Really love how supportive this forum is ❤️  

• Like 1