black sand aquarium safe?

Craziiininja

I've been using the black diamond blasting sand with my African cichlids for maybe 9 months now without any issues.  Sometimes I get bits in my sponge filters, but I think that will clear up over time.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:37 AM, ARMYVET said:

I love the look of the Black Blasting sand.  Unfortunately for me the closest TSW is over an hour away from me.  I wonder how well it does with growing plants with root tab supplication. 

It does alright. A bit difficult for carpeting plants to get established at first, since the grains are small, but it's nice and heavy. 

On 6/30/2021 at 2:23 PM, ARMYVET said:

Sir I will be driving 90 min to get me some of that!!  WOW that looks just incredible!  What a beautiful tank!!

What size is that?!? Im guessing 125-150

This is a 5t 100 gallon. Like others said get the medium grit. 1 lbs per gallon. I had to add a bag of sand and the pea gravel on the right side after I sloped it up on the left. And wash it well. Then when you think it's clean wash it again.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2021 at 2:13 AM, Craziiininja said:

is this black diamond blasting sand safe for African cichlid tank?http://media.tractorsupply.com/is/image/TractorSupplyCompany/3905403_A1

It is heat fused coal slag, so it is chemically inert, just like the pool sand that you have been using. The only issue that I have ever seen with it, last bag i bought had lots of residual organics in it. I soaked my bag in buckets for 2 or 3 weeks changing water daily before the organic 'oil slick' was gone from the surface of of the water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2021 at 8:05 PM, DShelton said:

It is heat fused coal slag, so it is chemically inert, just like the pool sand that you have been using. The only issue that I have ever seen with it, last bag i bought had lots of residual organics in it. I soaked my bag in buckets for 2 or 3 weeks changing water daily before the organic 'oil slick' was gone from the surface of of the water.

I have seen the oil slick you are talking about, I have never worried about it and it has never caused an issue 

On 6/30/2021 at 5:26 PM, sudofish said:

@armyvet if you do make the drive look for 2040 grit. That's a medium size that most people reccomend. I accidentally got a bag of 3060 mixed with 4080 once and it was super fine and impossible to plant in.

I used the fine in my pea puffer tank, I like it, looks good but is a pain to plant in it 

On 6/30/2021 at 10:13 PM, Craziiininja said:

I got 3 bags of black diamond sand but have read some horror stories so i dont know if I'll end up using it. It does look great but i dont wanna risk my mbuna.

You can send it to me …lol